iTunes Update Not Showing on Software Update

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
When I click on Software Update, it says my software is up to date. The new iTunes 5.0 doesn't automatically pop up and ask me if I want to install it. I thought the software update alerted Mac users to any Apple updates of the software they currently have on their computer. Why isn't this iTunes update showing???

(I'm currently running iTunes 4 on OS 10.3.9.)

Same with me. I've downloaded it, manually, by going to the Apple site. :) However, Quicktime 7.0.2 appears there on Software Update. ;)

I don't have it as well, but I suppose we should give them a little time. it might take a moment to get it on the updater and sent out to all the Macs.

Thank you both for your prompt replies. I feel better now knowing that I'm not alone. You're probably right--maybe it just takes some time for it to show up on the Software Update feature. And, yes, I have the QuickTime update showing on mine as well. Maybe iTunes will show up in a day or two...

You can download iTunes 5 from versiontracker.com, and presumably from Apple.com as well.

It's nice btw, a bit to get used to, but the new folder function is really nifty :)

I dloaded from macupdate way faster than trying apple's website must be crowded cool looks and new features are quite cool, the "iPod phone" support is part of the update

Gig' said:
I dloaded from macupdate way faster than trying apple's website must be crowded cool looks and new features are quite cool, the "iPod phone" support is part of the update
I agree: Macupdate.com is a lot faster than Apple.com. I also think it's faster than Versiontracker.com.

Speaking of iTunes and the like: How 'bout that new iPod Nano? Niiiiice! I'm gonna get me one o' dem! :D

MacUpdate's download link for iTunes 5.0 comes directly from Apple... this is the exact link MacUpdate uses (althought the status bar download link appears different, because it's a redirect to Apple's own page):

http://appldnld.m7z.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes5/macosx/061-1813.20050907.tzsmc5/iTunes5.dmg

This is the link directly from Apple's site:

http://appldnld.m7z.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes5/macosx/061-1813.20050907.tzsmc5/iTunes5.dmg

Any perceived speed increase of using MacUpdate over Apple's own site is just that: purely perceived! The downloads are coming from the same place... ;)

You can do this test yourself: download iTunes from MacUpdate, and right-click the file in the Downloads window and select "Copy Address" and paste and compare.

While MacUpdate does sometimes offer mirror download links to certain files, Apple keeps heavy track of the number of iTunes downloads and would only allow iTunes to be downloaded directly from them for recordkeeping.

Back