iTunes user to sue Apple

The fool knew damn well which devices he could use the music on and how exactly he could listen to it when he signed up for the iTMS account.

Besides, the "limiting" done by Apple is so infintesimally small that it could hardly be considered "limiting consumer choice." I've got my protected AAC files everywhere: in my car, on the stereo, on the computer, on the iPod, shared to my girlfriend's computer, burned on CDs, etc. No piece of Apple hardware short of the iPod was required for any of that. He might as well sue the grocery stores for preferred product placement claiming the subliminality of it took away his choice of cheaper brands.

brianleahy said:
In addition, the MPEG4 (aka AAC) codec is not - to my knowledge - proprietary. Anyone else who wanted could make an MP4 player.

Dunno about 'protected AAC' files, but as El Diablo noted, everyone's protecting their online songs these days.

Exactly, I'm pretty sure Creative or Sony or whoever builds mp3 players could make it m4p compatible.

This thread would not exist if the guy who sues Apple would have a girlfriend. Let's find a girl for him.

The competiton could make AAC players, but because Apple is still not licensing Fairplay, none of these players could play iTunes content. Apple has complete control of it. The competiton would have to develop their own rights-managed AAC if they wanted to use AAC, or have them be license-free, which won't happen of course.

Since I'm an Apple fan, I don't care at all if it's proprietery or not. Kudos to them. They have the best player, the best overall experience anyway. If you don't like it, buy something else. Go away.

------

Side topic. What are the latest rules on iTunes songs on multiple machines and ipods? I was thinking of grabbing a shuffle or two, but if my library will only play on one iPod, that's going to kind of kill things.

Well... it is true that there's no support for other MP3 players with iTunes. At least I don't know of any. However, it is possible to transfer the iTunes library to other MP3 players manually, I did so. Works great.

So I don't see much of a point in that lawsuit.

HomunQlus said:
Well... it is true that there's no support for other MP3 players with iTunes. At least I don't know of any. However, it is possible to transfer the iTunes library to other MP3 players manually, I did so. Works great.

So I don't see much of a point in that lawsuit.

It depends, a few will work as long as they are seen as mass storage devices (oddly). Although the suit itself is over Apple forcing iTMS to use only the iPod. If anything, this lawsuit is probably pretty quiet right now because the suit itself not going before a judge or awhile... or because Apple paid the guy off and asked him to be quiet.

Back