itunes won't burn.

Jacksloadedgun

Registered
so for some reason itunes wont burn anything. it burns about 2 minutes of a song and then says the drive is not responding.

i called apple, and they gave me three files to delete, i did that and now it's still giving me problems.

-my super-drive has been replaced.
-i can also burn data on my desktop, like word documents and such, anything like that.

anyone have any ideas with what might be up.

-Josh

Hi,

I ran into this problem last year. The major issue here is the disk itself. What type are you using to burn? Is it CD-R or CD+R? The firmware only detects the -R. No matter what you try, iTunes will never recognize a +R in the drive, therefore either will not burn or will not function properly. There is a way around this. You can get Toast Titanium (from various places on the internet...uh-hum) and use that to burn all your music files. Once you have Toast, just drag whatever music files you want to the program, put it in any order you want, and burn. Toast will detect and burn both + and -.

Good luck.

kellhound1 said:
Hi,

I ran into this problem last year. The major issue here is the disk itself. What type are you using to burn? Is it CD-R or CD+R? The firmware only detects the -R.
CDs only come in -R and -RW types. There is no such thing as a CD+R. You may be thinking of DVD disks, which come in both DVD+R and DVD-R types.

No matter what you try, iTunes will never recognize a +R in the drive, therefore either will not burn or will not function properly. There is a way around this. You can get Toast Titanium (from various places on the internet...uh-hum) and use that to burn all your music files. Once you have Toast, just drag whatever music files you want to the program, put it in any order you want, and burn. Toast will detect and burn both + and -.

Good luck.
iTunes will not recognize any CD+R media because they don't exist. Mac OS X has been able to burn +R media (DVD+R) since Panther, if the SuperDrive that is installed in the Macintosh supports the +R format.

Some Apple applications, like iDVD and DVD Studio Pro have recently been updated to allow burning to +R and dual-layer media.

At any rate, using +R media shouldn't be much of an issue anymore. The most compatibility problems with +R media don't arise from the actual burning of the disk, but rather trying to use the disk in another device, like a DVD player.

Back