iTunes won't download iPod Touch software 3.0

OrganLeroy

Registered
I have a 1st generation iPod Touch running software version 2.2.1.

I want to buy the new 3.0 software via iTunes. When I connect the iPod Touch to my MacBook Pro (which is running OSX 10.6 and iTunes 8.2.1) and click on the device name in iTunes, I'm given option of updating to version 3.0. But when I click "Update" I get an alert window repeating the fact that new software is available, and asking if I want more information from the iTunes Store. When I then click "Learn More" (which is the only option other than "Cancel"), iTunes simply reloads the same status screen.

I've also tried to buy the software update by accessing the iTunes Store via iTunes, but there is no apparent link to do so. A couple of weeks ago the iTunes Store page offered to sell me the update, but I didn't want it yet and clicked "remind me later". Now that I want it, I can't get it.

I've also found Apple's link on the web (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/softwareupdate.html) to buy version 3.0, but clicking the link simply switches me to my iTunes application, which gives me the same annoying loop I described in the paragraph above.

Can anyone offer advice on this?

Last edited:
Just posting to say that I'm having the same exact problem (except on a 2nd gen iPod touch). So frustrating! Fingers crossed someone knows the solution.

When popular software updates are initially released, there is a "mad rush" in the first few hours while everyone across the globe tries to be the first to download the updates... this puts tremendous strain on Apple's servers, and while it's not completely "normal" behavior, the inability to download the updates within this time frame is expected behavior.

The fix is to wait it out.

Back