Itunes Won't Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

musiccutiew

Registered
I am having trouble getting iTunes to open. I am running version 5.0.1 on a Power Mac G4, 400 MHz, with 640 MG RAM. I am on Mac OS 10.3.9. When I try to open iTunes, I get a flash as if the program is opening, but then nothing happens. Sometimes I will get the spinning cursor pinwheel of death (I'm sure you know what I am talking about here), but then if I go to move the cursor, it disappears. If I click on the iTunes icon and right click with a two-button mouse, I can choose to force quit iTunes, which leads me to think that the system thinks iTunes is open somehow even though it's not doing anything.

This happens if I try to open iTunes from the dock, or from its location on the hard drive. It also happens regardless of whether I try to open up the program directly, or pop a commercial CD in the CD-ROM drive to play music. I have tried reinstalling iTunes, without any difference.

I have posted a request to Apple's discussion board regarding this program. Since I have posted my problem on that site, five other people have also posted and said they are having the same problem. None of us have gotten responses of how to solve the problem. Usually Apple is pretty good with their tech support, but this time they want a fee just to talk to me on the phone. I am glad I found your site!

OK the first tho know is the Apple discussion boards are not official tech support. They were set up for users to help users. The second thing is this is not the end all be all trouble shooting site. We will try to help to you. Now have you added any third party add-ons to iTunes? Is any other program affecting your Mac? Have to tried to Repair Permissions? Tried to do a re-install of the program using Pacifist? Plus iTunes uses the Quicktime engine, so is QuickTime working properly?

Yes, I understand that the discussion boards at Apple are user-support and not official tech support. Thankfully, one of those users finally did figure out what was causing the problem.

For me, the problem in iTunes was caused by Quicktime 7, and resolved in Protools. I went into the CoreAudio application in the Protools folder, selected "supported applications" and deleted iTunes from the list of supported applications. iTunes is now working.

Apple also has a deinstaller on their downloads page for anyone who is having this same sort of problem with iTunes and wants to downgrade from Quicktime 7 to an earlier version.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back