iWeb part of iLife '06?

a new .Mac interface ? I could be a strong improvement to the homepage webapp.

chevy said:
I could be a strong improvement to the homepage webapp.
I would think that iWeb would be a much stronger improvement to the homepage application, but if you think you're a better improvement to it than software would be, well then that's just totally conceited! ;)

replace "I" by "it"...

but indeed I'm convinced I'm better than a software.

that is awsome. I have a couple clients that try (emphasis on try) to update their websites themselves using Dreamweaver. They always screw something up. Perhaps this will allow people to more easily update pre-built web pages.

It will be hard to keep a consumer-level web builder standards-compliant. It's hard enough when you hand-code and know what you're doing. It's like those earily CSS builders (StyleMaster was one I think) that gave non-html savvy people the ability to easily build great CSS sites. Problem was that it made everything absolutely positioned, which would have made the W3C cry!

Apparently the .mac account has been updated with new embedded files to support blogging.

Wasn't that done a couple of months ago? I thought some blogger thingie was part of .Mac for a while now...

fryke said:
Wasn't that done a couple of months ago? I thought some blogger thingie was part of .Mac for a while now...
It was iBlog, that was free for a while with your .Mac account, but it's a third party program.

Wouldn't a web page, consumer level app just be like templates for Pages? I could easily see Apple implementing a base line (entry level) web publishing tool for Pages, rather than develop a whole new program for that. Just some thoughts!

If they call it "iWeb" and name it among the other apps, I'd say we can safely assume it's a standalone app that integrates with the other iLife apps. So its center is the "web". Yes, I'd say this is about templates (I personally hate them, but iLife seems to do everything with templates) that let you easily create webpages. Since it's from Apple, I'd assume it actually makes _good_ webpages, too. (They _do_ have "standards compliant" people in the Safari team...)

Let's hope it's not too restricted in what it lets you do. For example, I'd hate it if you could only really use it in combination with a .Mac account. We'll see early next week.

Back