Jaguar changes

leleka

Registered
Hi folks,

I got a few unexpecable issues after I installed the Jaguar (10.2).
So if you somebody could answer this/some questions for me:

1. Under os 10.1.5 DVD player asked me if I wanted to change the region code and it let it change. I bet I changed it more then 20 times. Now it does not change the code at all.. :( Any comments how to get rid of it?

2. Does anyone know how to change the domain name (my comes up as a myhost.local)?

3. the old question about locale in the terminal window. How does one usually get the 8bit characters in the terminal window?

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
leleka

I can answer your number 1 question -- DVD players allow you to change the region code usually a few times, most likely 5, then after that, the code is hard-set into the hardware. There are hacks floating around the internet that sometimes allow you to change the code a few more times...

In regards to question 3:

In the Terminal menu, just below Preferences, choose "Window Settings". Choose "Display" in the drop down menu. Here you can choose your character set and encoding.

In regards to question 2:

In System Preferences, choose "Sharing". At the top of the pane there is an item labelled "Rendezvous Name". This is where you enter your hostname.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Originally posted by symphonix
In regards to question 3:

In the Terminal menu, just below Preferences, choose "Window Settings". Choose "Display" in the drop down menu. Here you can choose your character set and encoding.

well I certainly tried this. It did not display cyrillic anyway. Shall I get some LANG (or?) variable set also?

In regards to question 2:

In System Preferences, choose "Sharing". At the top of the pane there is an item labelled "Rendezvous Name". This is where you enter your hostname.

thanks. As an alternative I used domainname in comandline. I do not know if it goes to stay after reboot yet.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
DVD players allow you to change the region code usually a few times, most likely 5, then after that, the code is hard-set into the hardware.
Why is this? :confused:

well... I met something like that before. My DVD used to ask me, but it gave me a dialog to change it. And I guess it was more then 5 times.
But after I switched to Jaguar it no longer gives
me an option. Any suggestons?

Do not they understand at Apple that it was stupid doing that in the same time as intell allows it?

Originally posted by Ricky

Originally posted by Ricky

I don't exactly know why but I have seen this myself. I think it is because when a DVD is made it is encoded with a specific "region" It can only be used in the region that it was made for. I think they did this so that if you move from... let's say Japan to the US you can change the region of your DVD player so you can watch DVD's still. It is a chip that can only be flashed a limited number of times. Dependant upon the manufacturer it can be anywhere from 2 to 10+
Although I would doubt that the apple DVD player would allow changing of the DVD region code on the drive itself. I would imagine that it is doing small software changes to allow this. My guess is that it is switching even though it's not asking to. Apple may have streamlined this a little in the new version of the DVD player.

When I changed my internal DVD player to play DVD's from all regions (region 4) I needed a firmware flash utility and download the correct firmware for my specific drive.

Originally posted by leleka

Do not they understand at Apple that it was stupid doing that in the same time as intell allows it?

Intel is a chip manufacturer... they have nothing to do with DVD support :confused:

Back