Jaguar is now GM!

rhale1

KU Mac Geek
From ThinkSecret:
August 1, 2002 - Earlier in the week, we reported that Apple was internally targeting Mac OS X v10.2, code-named Jaguar, to hit the final gold master stage this Friday. Think Secret has now confirmed that Jaguar has been declared "GM," as of early today or late yesterday.

The news came as a surprise to some developers, who expected a GM date more in line with Apple's own projections. Even more surprising is that the gold master build is 6C115, Final Candidate 1, which was built Wednesday. While the build runs well, many insiders predicted that several more final candidates would be seeded, possibly even up to build 6C120.

I don't know what I think of this... I thought it would be Friday for sure, and with talk of FC2 still being seeded, it seems more likely for that to be the GM.

Post comments!

You'd think that they'd have more that one final candidate. That seems more likely than Apple choosing the first candidate as the GM.

Either way, they have to be close, and I can't wait until it ships!

Originally posted by devonferns
You'd think that they'd have more that one final candidate. That seems more likely than Apple choosing the first candidate as the GM.

Actually when a software company starts to deliver FC builds they generally run 'regression tests' on the software and verify that an acceptable number of them pass. This can happen with an FC1 build, and given the number of builds that Apple put out there it doesn't really surprise me that it did.

From comments I've read, it sounds like 10.2.1 will not be far behind 10.2? :)

Anyone here have 6C115? I want to know if Minimize in Place is still MIA.

Originally posted by hazmat
From comments I've read, it sounds like 10.2.1 will not be far behind 10.2? :)

Anyone here have 6C115? I want to know if Minimize in Place is still MIA.

6C116 has been seeded already.

Personally, I don't trust the rumour sites.. I'll wait till I get my copy in my hands to find out myself. There was a HUGE arguement about what build was GM when 10.0 was released, and when 10.1 was released.. you'd figure people would learn to ignore the rumour mills until it's on store shelves. Of course, it was usually the pirates that made the most noise because they wanted bragging rights that they were 37337 because they had the latest warezed copy floating around, and that IT was the GM version.

Really, who cares.. as long as it works, right?

Originally posted by GrBear
There was a HUGE arguement about what build was GM when 10.0 was released, and when 10.1 was released.. you'd figure people would learn to ignore the rumour mills until it's on store shelves.
LOL! What I remember vividly from those releases are people stating unequivocally that 4K78 was not gonna be the release build of 10.0, and no way would 5G48 be 10.1!
:p

the seed notes list 6c115 as a GM candidate, not a final gold master.

Not that I know anything for sure.

But if i was apple, I would keep tweaking it up until the very last moment. They obviously have comitted to an aug24th release, sending it out early would be bad progress-wise.

5G48 WASN'T the GM ;) it was 5G64.

No, I don't simply use other rumour sites to (dis)credit one. If you had checked the URLs, you'd have seen that one is run by myself, although that doesn't say much per se. It's just a simple fact that newer builds have come out of Apple and that they've been released as Final Candidate 2 & 3. With 6C117 out, I'd say that _this_ would be the Golden Master - haven't heard of newer builds since. It seems logical that Apple wanted to have a declared GM by Friday. Friday is gone and we're at 6C117, not 6C115.

It *could* be that those newer builds will turn into 10.2.1 some day and that 6C115 *was* sent to production, but it wouldn't really make sense to me with 6C116 being FC2, 6C117 being FC3.

Apple Remote Desktop DOES NOT run on C115...how can an apple product not be compatible with a final release?????

You get the answer yourself ;)

Because they haven't released an update to fix it yet since Jaguar hasn't been officially released and it shouldn't matter.

Once Jag is released, I bet there will be an update for Remote Desktop as well as a lot of other programs.

a little ot but ..
File sharing with windows is 100X better, you can browse windows networks, no more disconnecting and reconnecting to update the contents of a folder, and keychain remembers your password:)
remote desktop is a bummer though, I hope the fix is out soon

Originally posted by fryke
5G48 WASN'T the GM ;) it was 5G64.

No, I don't simply use other rumour sites to (dis)credit one. If you had checked the URLs, you'd have seen that one is run by myself, although that doesn't say much per se. It's just a simple fact that newer builds have come out of Apple and that they've been released as Final Candidate 2 & 3. With 6C117 out, I'd say that _this_ would be the Golden Master - haven't heard of newer builds since. It seems logical that Apple wanted to have a declared GM by Friday. Friday is gone and we're at 6C117, not 6C115.

It *could* be that those newer builds will turn into 10.2.1 some day and that 6C115 *was* sent to production, but it wouldn't really make sense to me with 6C116 being FC2, 6C117 being FC3.

I remember seeing 4K79 and 4K8x builds floating around ... ;)

10.2.1 builds will probably be numbered 6Dxx.

I HOPE 6c115 is not the golden master. I've looked over the build and there doesn't apear to be anything that makes it seem like it wouldn't (image capture's credits are no longer a mockery), but my CD burner is still broken.

my ex-relationship is broken too, but 6C115 is the Golden Master. expect to be able to update to 10.2.1 soon after Jaguar's release, though...

Originally posted by fryke
my ex-relationship is broken too, but 6C115 is the Golden Master. expect to be able to update to 10.2.1 soon after Jaguar's release, though...

*sigh* I had a feeling. Now that its shipping to retail stores I'm pretty sure too. CD burning has been broken on my computer in 6c35, 6c98, 6c106, AND 6c115. I haven't tested a single build where it has worked (other than 10.1.X) Has anybody else had this same experience?

Back