Jaguar updates and iLife?

jb_lyndon

Registered
Hey guys I'm installing Jaguar 10.2 for the first time onto my newly replaced HD and was just wondering if there's a benefit to installing the Jaguar updates before installing the iLife apps. Not sure if it makes any difference at all. Oh and does anybody have any opinions as to where to stop updating.... 10.2.5? 10.2.6? 10.2.8? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

When I reload my system from scratch, I freshly install OS X then run Software Update over and over until no more updates appear. I would suggest updating to 10.2.8 and any security updates that Software Update reports, at the very least.

As far as I know, and in my experience, there is no advantage/disadvantage to installing programs either before, after, or the the interim of updating the system. I usually install them after the system is totally up-to-date via Software Update, then I run Software Update again after installing any Apple applications (iLife, Final Cut Pro, etc.) to update those applications.

One caveat is that I seem to remember that 10.2.8 also updated Safari so you might want to install Safari before 10.2.8

It won't matter -- the Safari installer won't let you install an older version of Safari over a newer one, and even if you did manage to do that, the next time Software Update runs the correct Safari will be downloaded.

No that's what I mean. You can only download Safari v1.0 off Apple's website but the 10.2.8 update changed Safari to v1.05. So all I'm saying is if you updated your System to 10.2.8 before you install Safari (Safari was not part of the OSX Install in Jaguar) Safari would probably be stuck on v1.0.

Back