• .mac

• Jaguar

• Both

• Neither

• I'm Herve

Results are only viewable after voting.

xaqintosh

Master of Reality
I'd like to know the general opinion here. Many people seem to be upset about .mac, many others seem to be upset about Jaguar. I personally think Jaguar is worth it, but .mac is pathetic :rolleyes:

I'm new to Apple so I didn't pay for 10.0 or 10.1 so Jaguar will be my first OS purchase for my PB G4 and I have no problem paying $69, down from $129, for it.

I can understand though how people who may have purchased 10.0, 10.1 and now 10.2 in the span of less that 2 years might feel a little burned. If they payed full price, that's near $400 for esentially 1 OS and two upgrades.

.mac is too expensive for such little substance. I wont be subscribing. Luckily I didn't use it before and have even less reason to use it now. I feel though for the people who truly relied on it. Not everyone has $100 anually to blow. Apple really worked these users over.

Originally posted by azosx
I can understand though how people who may have purchased 10.0, 10.1 and now 10.2 in the span of less that 2 years might feel a little burned. If they payed full price, that's near $400 for esentially 1 OS and two upgrades.

Yet another bunch of FUD. Are you Mr. Orlowski from The Register? Because your trolling sounds awfully familiar.

Let me show you something called "addition" and "subtraction":

Let's look at two people, one who has used Mac OS X since the public beta, and one who has used Mac OS X since Mac OS X 10.0:

Person 1: Using OS X since public beta:

Mac OS X public beta.... cost: $30
Mac OS X 10.0........... cost: $129 - $30 (coupon from public beta)
Mac OS X 10.1........... cost: Free upgrade.
Mac OS X 10.2........... cost: $129

Let's add that all up. $30 + ($129 - $30) + $129. You have a calculator on your Powerbook G4, no? $30 and -$30 cancel out. So you have $129 + $129. That makes.. what? $258.

Person 2: Using OS X since Mac OS X 10.0:

Mac OS X 10.0........... cost: $129

So in this case we still have $129 + $129, or $258.

You say $258 is nearly $400. Well, let's do something called "subtraction", now. $400 - $258 is $142. That's quite a bit of error. I think that's a little far-fetched to call $258 "near $400".

Are you vastly overestimating in order to troll some more, or did you fail elementary school math?

10.1 wasnt a free upgrade for everyone, unfortunately due to my lack of credit card, i ended up having to pay full price for it. It will come to a $360 bill for me! (boy do i feel stupid)

OS X 10.1 was a free upgrade if you had bought OS X 10.0 before. If you hadn't, you hadn't spent the $129 on OS X 10.0 and instead would've spent it on OS X 10.1, resulting in the same $258 price tag for OS X so far.

I don't get how you can POSSIBLY have spent $360 on OS X so far unless you waited too long to get OS X 10.1 and the free upgrade was no longer being offered.

Ok, here goes one hot-headed rant. Brace yourselves. Of course, this is only my opinion, and the opinions of others (obviously) could differ greatly.

I love Mac. I love Apple. I have no problem paying $129 for Jaguar. In light of the competition, that's a TINY fee. Look at upgrades for Windows -- they run much higher than that. Also, $100/year for .mac ain't too damn shabby, either. So what if you were under the impression that your mac.com email address was good for life? Are you THAT pissed off that you have to pay now? You know the computer industry. You know how companies work. If you didn't expect this at some point down the road, whoa -- check yourself. Apple doesn't charge for too many things. You buy their computers and you buy their OS. Hell, you get the OS FOR FREE when you buy the computer. When Jaguar is released, you'll get it for free when you purchase a new machine at that time. Otherwise, $129 is NOT a bad upgrade fee.

Apple's doing a good job. They have released some INSANELY cool and useful software packages that are absolutely free. They provide a great computing environment. Support them. Fork over your cash. Lord only knows the people at Apple are -- they're doing a damn good job of upgrading and making OS X everything it should be and then some -- support them. Dig deep in those pockets and fork over $129 with a smile on your face -- that's what Apple deserves. For being the red-headed step-child of the computing world for the last 15 or so years, they deserve some credit and support, not a bunch of people complaining that they're not getting their free lunch anymore.

Let's examine the costs: $129 for OS X 10.2. $100 for .mac (and that's being generous -- it's only $50 right now for anyone). That's a little over $200. You know what a little over $200 would get you if you were a member of the dark side? That's right -- next to nothing. And it would be a buggy, unstable next to nothing to boot.

Don't be a fairweather friend to our buddies at Apple. After all, they ARE a business and need to make money -- YOUR money. You know that being a computer user isn't a "spend-money-one-time-on-the-computer-and-never-spend-another-dime" experience. Support Apple in times of good and bad... or don't support them at all. They're not running an extortion ring. They're not charging outlandish prices for their goods. They're not renigging on any contracts. Apple users have just gotten greedy, plain and simple, and it's apparent in the posts all over this board and all over the internet right now.

Am I upset that Apple's charging for .mac? Nope, it was expected and predictable at some point. But they aren't just charging for it now -- it's been kicked up a few notches and well worth the price.

Am I upset that I'll be paying full-price for 10.2? Nope, it was expected and predictable. And if you didn't see it coming, well, I just don't know what to say about that.

Let's all pay $129 for Jaguar with a smile on our face, just as I suggested before. Let's support the company that's allowing us to have the best computing experience on the planet. Yes, let's fork over our hard-earned cash to purchase this software. After all, Apple did it for us and continues to do it.

Sorry if that was disjointed or sounded like a mindless ramble -- but hell, people, it's only $129. (Ok, ok, a little more in Europe and other countries, but hell -- get over it) I'm just sick and tired of hearing people bitch about incurring such a small cost compared to the competition. You people are never satisfied.

because my MOTHER wouldnt pay for the 10.1 upgrade, i had to wait and eventually the upgrade disappeared. then, weirdly she let me order 10.1 so yes i paid for both 10.0 and 10.1 and now i will pay for 10.2

Originally posted by simX
You say $258 is nearly $400. Well, let's do something called "subtraction", now. $400 - $258 is $142. That's quite a bit of error. I think that's a little far-fetched to call $258 "near $400".

Are you vastly overestimating in order to troll some more, or did you fail elementary school math?

Word up, my brother, my brother. These people act like Apple's screwing them over left and right when in actuality, all they're doing is charging a nominal fee for some great software, unlike some OTHER software companies we know... ;)

I could see this train coming from a mile away, and I expected it. It just amazes me -- the amount of greediness among Apple users -- and then they turn it around and accuse Apple of being greedy. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Originally posted by newzworld
because my MOTHER wouldnt pay for the 10.1 upgrade, i had to wait and eventually the upgrade disappeared. then, weirdly she let me order 10.1 so yes i paid for both 10.0 and 10.1 and now i will pay for 10.2

So is the money coming out of YOUR pocket or your mother's? You couldn't afford $30 for the 10.1 upgrade, but you can afford $129 for the 10.1 upgrade?

Something doesn't make sense. Sounds like you dug your own hole.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca

Word up, my brother, my brother. These people act like Apple's screwing them over left and right when in actuality, all they're doing is charging a nominal fee for some great software, unlike some OTHER software companies we know... ;)

I could see this train coming from a mile away, and I expected it. It just amazes me -- the amount of greediness among Apple users -- and then they turn it around and accuse Apple of being greedy. What a bunch of hypocrites.

The funny thing is that BOTH Mr. Orlowski at The Register and azosx both said "near $400" when talking about the total cost of OS X so far. That's a 55.04% error – that's a pretty extraordinary amount of error for a mistake.

Oh, and I also think that both the cost for .Mac and Jaguar are completely reasonable. $50 is extraordinary for a year of an awesome set of internet tools.

newzworld: Your mom wouldn't pay $20 (ElDiablo: it was $19.95 :D ) for an upgrade and later decided to let you pat $130?!?! Furthermore, many Apple resellers were offering the free upgrade package at their stores. I don't see how it's possible that you could've missed the upgrade opportunity, unless you were in another country where the upgrade cost more and resellers weren't providing upgrade packages for free there.

look i can afford it, barely but im buying it with my moms credit card cause i dont have one, and there isnt a mac store near us. so by the time she ordered it, 10.1 cost 129 instead of 30, i paid her, she ordered it

you COULD have gotten it off of eBay, like I did, for about $15 including shipping, well after the expiration of the "free upgrade". therefore you are an aberration and do not count in this poll :) ;) :p

Originally posted by newzworld
look i can afford it, barely but im buying it with my moms credit card cause i dont have one, and there isnt a mac store near us. so by the time she ordered it, 10.1 cost 129 instead of 30, i paid her, she ordered it

You know, credit cards aren't the only way to pay for things. You could have bought a money order or cashier's check and simply mailed it to Apple.

Like I said, you dug your own hole. Apple didn't burn you -- you burned yourself, plain and simple, and it would be nice if you took responsibility for your own actions. I understand that you're angry about this, but you should be angry with your own lack of research and action, not directing your anger at Apple.

i know, but what about my friend, i just converted him to macs and he bought a new computer before the macworld expo, and now he has to pay 129 for 10.2? I just think that it should be made cheaper for people who have 10.1 thats all

if your friend is a student (s)he can get jaguar for $70 at the education discount.

Let me remind some people: You don't have to get jaguar. It is OPTIONAL. (Unlike M$ at times ;))

Well, I disagree... 10.2 is awesome and well-worth $129, upgrade or no upgrade.

What about your friend? He assumed that he would get a discounted price? Well, remember that stupid saying, "When you assume, you make an ass out of U and ME?"

So your friend got a new machine that he's happy with, and he's gotta pay $129 for the baddest OS software ever. And he's STILL unhappy? AND -- to top that off, you, a Mac-user, let him purchase a brand-new system right before an Expo?

hah wouldnt that be funny, and i knew 10.2 was coming too, no i told him not to and he said, and i quote "dont worry me!" and we are high school students, no discount

First off, get out of Newzworld's shoes-they don't fit you. I doubt that we completely understand his position and we're not in one ourselves to criticize him or his past actions.

Originally posted by simX
Person 1: Using OS X since public beta:

Mac OS X public beta.... cost: $30
Mac OS X 10.0........... cost: $129 - $30 (coupon from public beta)

Let's add that all up. $30 + ($129 - $30) + $129. You have a calculator on your Powerbook G4, no? $30 and -$30 cancel out. So you have $129 + $129. That makes.. what? $258.

Person 2: Using OS X since Mac OS X 10.0:

Mac OS X 10.0........... cost: $129

So in this case we still have $129 + $129, or $258.

But say you also want to get .Mac to continue the services that you already bought with Mac OS X. Now you've paid $308. Or, what if you bought Mac OS X but never got around to signing up for iTools? Now you're paying $358. And that's getting mighty close to azosx's number.

And this is why I'm OK with Jaguar. I think that $258 over almost two years is fine (especially towards my favorite company).

But (and I'm sorry I can't find my OS X box to quote from) when I bought OS X, the box said something about 'OS X enhances the internet with iTools,' not 'OS X includes a free trial offer of iTools, and at an undisclosed time we'll kill it and make you pay loads of cash for .Mac.'

My $.02

Back