java software

zaze

Registered
hi everyone. i am a new computer person. i want to be able to get back into
the survivor chat room,but i need java software. my mac is a version 10.1.5
now i really don't know what that means, so can anyone tell me if i can use
java software and what it cost...... thanks

Java should be included with your machine automatically, and any updates to the Java VM should be available in Software Update.

OS X 10.1.5 is quite old, so the included version of Java may be too old for the site you're trying to access. Apple only officially supports 10.2 and 10.3 now, so it may be time to think about spending $100 and upgrading to 10.3.

One thing to make sure of is that "Enable Java" is enabled in whatever browser you're using, usually found in the Preferences of that browser.

thanks for the info...i found that i did have java, i guess it showes that i am really a new computer person. i never needed to use it so i never looked for it...well anyway
do i just have to buy the java software? will it work on my version 10.1.5? sorry if i am
asking dumb questions.i appreciate all your help....thanks...zaze

Well, Apple is pretty much in charge of updating the software on your computer, if it's software that comes with the OS (like Java). Of course, you can always install your own version of Java, but for a new computer user, that would be a very daunting task.

If you upgrade your OS X software to either 10.2 or 10.3, your Java sites should work as expected. Which site is it? I can check, since I'm on 10.3, and verify that if you did indeed upgrade, that it would work. Let me know!

my husband will try to stop at the apple store and see what they say,and what software i need ..i will let you know when i get it figured out...thanks for your help
zaze

well i got the new software. i got MAC O S X panther. i am able to get into my chat
room. thanks for your help. i do have one more question..i did not get to see the new email, is there a way to look at it without restarting the software?.....thanks
again....zaze

I'm not quite sure I understand what " new email" you're referring to... is it something to do with that chat site, or something else you're referring to?

well i now have the panther software and when we installed it , it showed a new
mail. i was in a hurry to see if i was able to get into my chat site i did'nt see it. it
looks a little different,so i want to go back to see it. do i have to reinstall my software to see it? that i don't think i would like to have to do....i hope i am not
confusing you to much.....sorry.....thanks....zaze

Hmmm... I'm still not sure of what mail you're talking about -- was the mail displayed in Mail.app, or are you talking about the welcome sequence where the music is playing and introducing you to Mac OS X when you first boot up?

yes thats it.....its different from my other. i think its from the new panther software
i am not sure how to empty the little trash can by the mail....sorry if iam confusing.
........zaze

Oh, to empty the trash, simple hit "Command-K".

You can also look in the trash before you empty it, and the email could still be there.

Back