Jerky breowing - scrolling - typing please help

Fiesta:mac

Registered
Hello everybody, i just entered the world of mac, with a powerbook g4 and macOSX 1.3.7

I'm using both opera and mozilla, latest version, an i must say, browsing is painful.

Athough my ping times and download speeds are ok, scolling down pages when browsing is extremely jerky, right clicking and copy - pasting - bookmarking takes respectable time to complete, typing has hickups, and generally, it feels like browsing with a very very old pc!

Are all macOS systems so slow with browsers?

Everything else seems to be running fine i presume.

Thanks a lot.

On my iBook G4, I have used Safari, Firefox, and Camino. Safari is slow to me and can't import or export bookmarks unless its "Debug Menu" is enabled. Both Firefox and Camino are faster on my machine. Currently, I am using Camino. I like its interface a bit better than that of Firefox. Scrolling seems smooth enough with both Camino and Firefox.

i unistalled safari, it was awfully slow.
I have IE, firefox, opera, and they are all very jerky.
I have a full 512 mb of ram!
The biggest problem is scrolling down pages, using the touchpad or the mouse wheel, it starts slowly and then accelerates and jumps unread parts of the page.
I've tried changing the mouse options but nothing....

Have you tried toggling the 'Use Smooth Scrolling' setting in the System Preferences/Appearance pane? This can make a big difference in the 'feel' of scrolling.

Actually, I think I am having the same problem. I noticed it last night.

If I use the wheel on my mouse in FireFox, it will sometimes jump entire "half-pages" and it's easy to miss stuff.

I will look into that smooth scrolling when I get home.

I have a PowerMac G4, dual 1Ghz with 1Gig ram.

cbmeeks

If you are using Firefox, you need to turn on smooth scrolling in the Firefox preferences. The System Preferences don't seem to affect Firefox.

cbmeeks: Go to system preferences, select keyboard/mouse, then the mouse tab, and mess around with the scrolling slider. You probably have a high-resolution mouse and you need to slow down the scrolling.

Fiesta:Mac: I was using my 800 mHz iMac yesterday for web browsing, something I rarely do. I noticed that Safari was pretty jerky. I don't have that problem on my Power Mac G5. Now, having said that, it sounds like something else is going on with your system.

You can try a couple things:

1.) Go to Applications folder, then Utilities (inside Applications). Run the program Activity Monitor. Click the "% CPU" tab. Look for programs gobbling up inordinate amounts of cpu time. That can obviously affect other running programs.

2.) If no other cause can be found, download a renice'ing type program from www.macupdate.com or versiontracker. These programs will change the priority of the active program. The range is from -20 to 20. The smaller the number, the higher the priority of the program. I have, for example, experimented with setting Microsoft Word at -5 because it's sluggish sometimes. Does it work? Um. The jury is still out on that one. It couldn't hurt I suppose.

Again, what's your processor speed?

Doug

of all the browsers i've used in os x, apple's safari was the fastest. even the mag Macaddict did surfing testes and ruled safari as the fastest, therefore there must be some settings that ya'll may have to adjust. when was the last time ya'll emptyed your caches, history's and cookies?

btw look at my computer stats below, it an't hardware, the problems' got to be software. what other programs are running?

Uninstalled safari?
hmm..

Safari is as smooth as a pebble for me at 1.33 ghz. not so when there are a lot of flash animations and things going on.

I use Safari and Firefox on both my 400 MHz G3 and on my 1 GHz G4, I use IE and Firefox on my 1.6 GHz Pentium M. In both systems, Firefox gives the best experience.

dktrickey said:
cbmeeks: Go to system preferences, select keyboard/mouse, then the mouse tab, and mess around with the scrolling slider. You probably have a high-resolution mouse and you need to slow down the scrolling.

Hey, just now got around to trying that. Thanks! That was stupid on my part. I had it set to maximum.

I had to run it all the way down (the scrolling speed) to zero to get that same feeling I got on Windows.

Thanks again.

cbmeeks

Back