Jobs' surprize

Originally posted by banjo_boy
If Apple allowed more companies than Motorola to make boards, there would be competition. Motorola can't do it? Maybe IBM can. If Apple had 3 to 5 board suppliers, each of them would be trying to outdo the other. That is competition. That is what makes business work.

Motorola doesn't make the motherboards, they just make the cpu. Apple makes (well designs) the motorboards. This isn't like the pc clone business where if IWill is dropping the ball on MB's, then you can switch to Asus, or ECS, or a dozen other folk. If Apple doesn't like what Mot is up to, there options are slim. Apple is fortunate that IBM also produces PPC's and that they (IBM) had a suitable high performance chip in the wings. Had this not been the case, we'd be "suffering" through minor speed bumps in G4's for a while. And in either case, Apple is still constrained by what Mot can produce.

Apple is resposible for their own product. They could have easily found someone else and kicked Motorola out. This is Apple's fault. Period.

I don't know about "easily". After all, what would they have replaced the G4 with? Other than IBM (who doesn't even make a G4), who are these someone elses that they could have easily turned to? You are correct in saying that Mot had Apple in a tough spot, but quite fortunately for Apple, there is the I in AIM. Again producing a cpu is not like producing MB's, there aren't dozens of manufs in Taiwan that can all easily do the job. There are only a handful of companies on the entire planet that have the resources to develop/manufacture high end cpu's on the scale that would be required.

The problem with allowing clones is a driver issue. Mac has been always stable because they keep their hardware under close doors, never opened them and that is what makes their hardware much more stable than x86 computers. I could not see them allowing clones come in and ruin what they worked so hard on keeping.

I think he is going to shock the world by taking home computing up to the next level, 64-bit processor. I could be wrong but that would really make Intel, AMD and Microsoft to get off their butt and try to catch up to what Apple has. If I'm not mistaking Panther is suppost to be able to support 64-bit processing.

Originally posted by boneske

I think he is going to shock the world by taking home computing up to the next level, 64-bit processor. I could be wrong but that would really make Intel, AMD and Microsoft to get off their butt and try to catch up to what Apple has. If I'm not mistaking Panther is suppost to be able to support 64-bit processing.

The only issue I have with this is the fact that I don't feel this will "shock the world" This is something that we've been planning on for the past 8 months. it comes as no big surprise.

It's no revolution.

It's evolution.

Maybe M$ will have more problem to evolve Windows to the next level ? Not even sure. But that's good for the computer market as this increases the customer's expectations.

Back