Just about as slick as they said it would be!

ElDiabloConCaca

U.S.D.A. Prime
Thought I was out of luck since I didn't pre-order with the rest of the civilized world, and was fully prepared to have to wait a month and a half before I could enjoy the newest "gotta have" Apple thing.

Turns out I was wrong. The Apple Store here in San Antonio had plenty of units to go around. Picked one up at 8pm last night, no waiting in lines, no fanfare, just walked in and walked out with a 16GB in under 5 minutes.

It is every bit as cool as they say. A bit smaller than you may think, but amply big. It is not just an oversized iPod touch. It is not a replacement for a real laptop/portable computer, although there is much overlap in functionality.

One complaint: 1.5 pounds feels heavier than you may think. I will definitely be getting the official iPad case, both for protection and for positioning.

If anyone's on the fence and needs an objective opinion (is that an oxymoron?), I'd be glad to help answer any questions.

Awesome :) I was thinking of having a look with the other .5 at the iPads in La Cantera yesterday, but we thought it would have been just very full of people queueing for it (at least judging by how crowded Riverwalk was).

How is the browsing and working with it so far? Or typing with that keyboard?
I'm curious how comfortable it's to use on flat surfaces like a table - as the ad images it mostly used on the lap.

La Cantera wasn't busy at all when I went, at least no more busy than it ever is on a Saturday.

I'm becoming quite used to the keyboard -- muscle memory is kicking in at this point. Currently typing on it with it flat on my lap and its almost like a real keyboard (sans tactile feedback, of course). I haven't used it much any other way for typing, but as far as the lap goes, its quite comfy.

Browsing is slick -- many sites are utilizing HTML 5 such as CNN.com and the videos are crisp -- I had to say to myself, "hey, I thought this thing didn't have flash!" before I realized what was going on. I'll always prefer a mouse and keyboard and a large monitor for browsing, but this is really, really nice. Screen format is good, both in portrait and landscape mode.

Keyboard is much easier to use in landscape mode. Almost like having a slightly smaller aluminum Apple wireless keyboard with context-sensitive keys.

I highly recommend checking one out at the Apple Store (they're probably closed today, no?) as they had plenty of display units. Methinks you'll see what all the hype was about then. I can see carrying this to work with me (I have a dedicated XP desktop computer at work, but dote along my MacBook for extra help) instead of my laptop and still being able to do a lot of the same stuff -- RDC, VNC, email, spreadsheet processing, web services, etc.)

All in all, if you can afford it, I think it will be extremely tempting once you get one in your hands.

They seem open normally today (at least the closest one to us should be)... so might have to have a peak. Even if I know that there will be one in the house anyway as soon as the .5 gets one from work :) (if we had the spare $ 500 now, it would all go to something way more urgent and needed, so the iPad will have to wait to be bought.. not to be tried though).

I don't like looking at the keys when I type, so I guess it'll be curious to see how fast the keyboard will be to learn without the feel.

I pre ordered and they let one person walk in for every 10 pre order at the Palasades Mall.My deal was would all my appletv files play on it.YUP! So I'm satisfied.

Congratulations, it sounds like you're having fun with the new toy! :) I'm glad you're happy with your iPad and I'm rather curious to know more about the platform.

It is every bit as cool as they say. A bit smaller than you may think, but amply big. It is not just an oversized iPod touch. It is not a replacement for a real laptop/portable computer, although there is much overlap in functionality.
Ah, you've hit upon the tricky area for me: I feel my laptop fulfils one role and my iPod touch fulfils another, but I'm not sure there is a gap in the middle in my particular case. In brief, I'm reserving judgement until I've been able to actually try one, as that might make all the difference. So, some genuine questions...

• What would you say makes the iPad distinct from a larger iPod touch?
  • Do iPad versions of Apple's apps differ significantly from the iPhone/iPod touch versions?
  • With being in San Antonio, have you encountered any of the reported problems with it overheating when using it outdoors?

Thanks!

Ah, you've hit upon the tricky area for me: I feel my laptop fulfils one role and my iPod touch fulfils another, but I'm not sure there is a gap in the middle in my particular case.
Guaranteed that you will find a gap in which to insert the iPad... Guaranteed. I'm taking a business trip to Dallas on Sunday night and have a day-long training class to teach on Monday, and I plan on leaving my MacBook (which has seen me through years of work and travel) at home for the first time. It's just the iPhone and the iPad this time, and I'm not even sweating about it. Even got an HD movie downloaded to the iPad for Sunday night to keep me entertained in the hotel.
[*]What would you say makes the iPad distinct from a larger iPod touch?
The fact that it's closer to a computer than a large iPod touch. The productivity apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) allow you to get REAL work done. I've gotten more done on my iPad in the last couple days than I've gotten done on my laptop. Rather than a large iPod touch, it's more like a smaller, more portable laptop... But still not a laptop.

[*]Do iPad versions of Apple's apps differ significantly from the iPhone/iPod touch versions?
Oh, hell yes. But you need to use them to actually do productive work to experience this -- not just play with the apps for a few at the Apple store.

[*]With being in San Antonio, have you encountered any of the reported problems with it overheating when using it outdoors?
It ain't hot enough here yet (we're in the midst of the 3 weeks out of the year when it's actually not just bearable, but beautiful -- I never realized greens could be so... green!), but I can say that trying to use the iPad in sunlight is challenging, and impossible with polarized sunglasses. My needs don't require me to do this, though.

Don't expect it to be a laptop (accessible filesystem, multiple apps running concurrently, etc.) and you'll love it... If you don't, I'll buy it off you.

Just remember: a bad carpenter complains and bitches that his hammer isn't the right shape or weight for the nails, while a good carpenter shuts the hell up, grabs the nearest heavy rock, and gets down to business. Which is to say: if you look for faults with the iPad, you will find them (as with any other anything). If you compare it to a laptop, you will be disappointed, because it's not a laptop. It is truly, in my opinion, a new kind of device -- halfway between here and there, and filling a niche I never knew needed filling.

I will say this: if you're frugal and/or on a tight budget, forget about it. I bought $50 worth of apps (Things, all three iWork apps, a few news apps, some productivity apps, a few drawing apps (Sketchpad is ridiculous!), etc.) in the first day and a half. So, if you're getting by with your iPod touch and/or iPhone and your laptop, the iPad may not be for you. If you want to explore a new avenue of productivity, and have $500 to spare, then by all means, I believe you will find it useful. It comes in VERY handy when a laptop is too big, and an iPhone is too small (I own both, BTW).

I went shopping for a case two days ago, and ended up getting the Apple-branded "folio" case. It's nice -- it doesn't add any bulk to the iPad, seems to keep it reasonably protected, feels good in the hands, and the different posable positions are actually useful. It doesn't feel like it's worth $40, but I'll be able to tell in 6 months whether it can stand up to my style of use. I welcome any suggestions on other cases to try.

You WILL want a case. The first time I put it down on a counter that I thought was clean and heard it rocking on microscopic dirt, I grabbed it back up and decided it's home would either be my hands or the box it came in until I got a case.

The iPad is just another tool in my arsenal, and I was quite surprised at how much more I use it than both my iPhone and my MacBook.

All of my replies on macosx.com were typed on my iPad since Saturday. Even typing "[ quote ]" and "[ /quote ]" -- no matter how many keyboard changes they required -- somehow didn't get in my way or seem annoying. That's how useful this damn thing is to me. It took me exactly 1 hour to become accustomed to the on-screen keyboard. Landscape mode is the "best," by far, but portrait mode is definitely "usable." Luckily, it seems that almost all the apps I use support landscape and portrait mode, unlike my first apps on the iPhone where most of the 3rd-party apps took a few months to support rotation.

Turn down the screen brightness and kill bluetooth unless you need it. I've charged my iPad one-and-a-half times since Saturday. The battery life is impressive... not ridiculous, but impressive.

I am one of the few experiencing Wi-Fi problems. My iPad likes to disconnect for a few seconds from my AirPort Extreme Dual-Band (one 2.4GHz/WPA2/802.11a/b/g network, one 5GHz/WPA2/802.11n network) every once in a blue moon (actually, a tad more frequently than that), but reconnects within a few seconds. Don't know what that's all about, but I have not experienced the same thing at my work, which employs only 802.11g/WPA2.

My only remorse is that I relegated myself to the lowest-end 16GB model. I can already see a need for 32 or 64GB, but couldn't justify the expense. I'm good at being space-conscious, though.

Last edited:
Airvideo lets you use your mac as a server.Have access to your entire video collection at home or on the go.Now I wish I'd bought the 3g model.Maybe later!

My other half had one from work for like 2 weeks, but had to turn it back yesterday. He misses it but it shouldn't take long to get the permanent one soon.

Anyway, of a few weeks of observations...

I used it (grabbing it while it wasn't in use) mostly for some quick games. We Rule is much faster on iPad than on iPhones (d'oh..) (by the way, anyone in We Rule needing more kingdoms, add me. Same username as here). My other .5 liked Godfinger - and so did one of the cats. She (the cat) liked the sounds the humans make when she pawed around them or caused storms etc.

As I had seen some videos of cats using an iPad (one vid with some piano type app, and one with a fish pond) I tried to also see if there were apps the cats would like to play with. At least the screen and viewing angle is more comfortable for cats than using a laptop, and they tend to hit the screen anyway when there's something interesting...

Fish Pond (I forgot the exact name but something like that) was something she didn't mind to watch. So she'd watch it like telly and occasionally play with water or chase the fishes. As the other cat is nearly blind he didn't get much to it, other than liking the sound. (I guess accessibility mode for cat games for iPad would be a bit too peculiar to have?) But the concentration I could get out of a cat to follow an app or a game wasn't too bad.
Some free piano apps - couldn't get them too interested, at least yet.
I guess some doodling app or some educational one would work too.

Browsing and other tasks were much smoother than on my Dell Inspiron mini, but it'll have to wait a while before replacing that with an iPad (too many things in the next few months that will take more money than ideal). Until then, that will have to do, that is, when his iPad won't be in use in the house.

Back