Just received my copy of Panther, has anyone else ?

xarcom

Registered
:)

I just checked and fedEx just delivery my copy.. Now If I could just skip my courses and head home...

How many people have received their copies too ?

I'm going to be doing a fresh install on my ibook G3 500... Its old now but hopefully it'll be the little laptop that could :p ...

I'm running a prehistoric 10.1 right now.. so I'm expecting a huge difference in all areas...

I'll fill u guys in as soon as I install it, althought that won't happen till around 7 probably..

Hasn't anyone else gotten it ? I ordered last week.. I must say I'm surprised that I received it so soon... I got an email from apple last night around 8 pm saying they shipped it and I received it today at 12:35. I didn't even get express shipping or anything...

Wow, that's fantastic... If you're in college, as you say you've got courses, I hope you used your student discount and got it for $70!

I did, and mine's showing an estimated delivery date of 10-24 by 4:30pm... this will be the longest day in the world... :D

Actually, I did use my educational discount.... Panther is actually 179 $ CAD ... but with the discount.. it cost me 99 $ CAD....

I wish I would have used the discount when I bought my laptop ... I would have been able to buy a TiBook for the same price I paid my ibook...

Anyways... I'm in class right now... (gotta love wireless campuses ;) ) and this is like torture.... I want to go home and start installing it...

ok, clarify this educational discount. I just graduated from college, some say i'm still eligible for the discount. So how does it work on the Apple Store? Will I need to enter my student number or something? I won't place my order till i add funds to my account either Friday or Monday.

Well my friend, who i think ordered from a store, stated he was a student and they said 'ok'. He didn't prove anything. Maybe he was on the phone. I don't remember.

Also, how long is a student discount good for after you graduate? Or does it just end. Hummm.

How the heck do you get these discounts. I try AppleStore, but the site has no ticker or anything for discounts.

My new PB shipped October 9th, IMO that should give me Panther free if I just pay delivery. In any alternative case, I'm a K-12 student and should get that discount...would suck to pay full price now...

Well, I'm running on Panther now :D
I got it today and installed it as soon as I got home. I did an archive and install. Everything is running great! It kept all my settings, and even all the icons in my dock.

I got a student discount as well, even though I haven't been a student since April ;) I just put my old student number in the form on the Apple store website. You just click on the Education Store or something, which is on the right side I believe.

I can also confirm the build number is 7B85. Other apps seem to be a little bit different though. The System Preferences has a different icon, more gray. It might have been that way all along, but I didn't notice.

Well if you got the discount Cap Code, i know i can, I finished officially in August.

archive and install is a option if you click custom when you attempt to install X. This allows you to save all user prefs and setting, and move all old data to a folder called Previous System on the root of the partition. I had problems removing this folder, and had to use terminal to delete them.

I've been installing Panther on machines all day. Haven't had a chance to really enjoy it, though I've been playing between applications installs (I like to do full wipe OS installs, I just don't feel fresh and clean unless I do it that way, though man is it a pain).

Is this the official Panther Rocks thread? Why isn't there a big, holy crap Panther is here thread? Am I not seeing it?

Anyway, I'll start to express my impressions here and finish them wherever appropriate I guess.

I have two words for Panther:

1. Holy
2. Crap

Jaguar did not impress me. Panther impresses me. GUI is much improved, still a little sluggish on the outer edges, but I bet it's near glass on the G5s. The Finder finally feels old-school OS 9, with the quickflick edit modes, labels and responsiveness. Core Apple applications blast open and even the big apps launch about 30% faster for me so far. Preview is the freaking bomb—uber fast, absolutely crushes Acrobat. OS-level archiving of files to zip—nice touch, in-line search filtering-yum (though painful on large volume searches), tons of other subtle polishing that I'd love to rave about as this or other threads grow.

If Jaguar was a B- (for me), Panther is an easy A, maybe an A+ (I'm still holding out for a FULLY multi-threaded Finder and utter glass window resize GUI).

Got mine at approximately 2:00 pm CST today (10/14/03). Had it installed by 2:30 and am loving it. Clean install, reinstalled all applications and set up UI to my liking by 3:15.

I love it. I love the "smoother" look of the Finder and applications. I like the brushed metal stuff. Took me a minute or two to get used to the new Finder, but I like it so far.

Noticeable speed increase in the UI in general. Like how they dropped the smiley in favor of the reflective Apple logo.

All around, I like the new look -- I know how much backlash brushed metal has gotten, but I really enjoy it. Nice implementation. Not only do I KNOW I'm running a damn secure OS, it even LOOKS like a damn secure OS.

Back