Just received my copy of Panther, has anyone else ?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
All around, I like the new look -- I know how much backlash brushed metal has gotten, but I really enjoy it. Nice implementation. Not only do I KNOW I'm running a damn secure OS, it even LOOKS like a damn secure OS.

couldn't agree more...

well worth the upgrade!

;)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Noticeable speed increase in the UI in general. Like how they dropped the smiley in favor of the reflective Apple logo.

hey, how is the rezising of the finder window?... you know, because the brushed metal interface. it is smooth or like iTunes or iPhoto?

I was so surprised when I got home from school around noon and found they'd already tried delivering Panther to me at 10:40. A quick phonecall later, and it arrived to me around 2 pm. Needless to say I didn't get much more done the rest of the day :) ...
<br><br>And this is all Swedish time, GMT+1, so I didn't expect it at all. Delivery on Monday or something would have been more along my expectations.
<br><br>But hey, I'm sure as **** not complaining!
<br><br>So, anyone else giggled like a madman when they tried Exposé the first few times?

Mine came today too. Won't get to install it until Sunday, though, if that. But I payed $64.50 for it. Federal employee.

xarcom said:
:)

I just checked and fedEx just delivery my copy.. Now If I could just skip my courses and head home...

How many people have received their copies too ?

I got my client copy of 10.3 today, but I still have yet to receive 10.3 server. Called FedEx and they were kind enough to arrange Saturday Delivery. Got 10.3 client running in no time and it works great!

As much as I'd like to, I doubt I'm going to install Panther on my iMac any time soon, if at all. I hardly ever use OS X, certainly not enough to justify the price at this point, and I doubt I've got enough space for it.

But I want to use it really badly. All you foo's with it are so lucky... or fortunate, perhaps. I used Panther on a G5 at the store, and it was SWEET, to say the least. I loved Exposé and the new application switcher windowlet. Plus, I think the brushed metal look doesn't look too bad... it's just a shame they've decided to oust Aqua, as I think it looks much better. But oh well...

It feels weird to write stuff in this new layout, since this QR box doesn't wrap. It's really weird, it's like I'm writing on ticker tape or something...

Anyway, enjoy your copies of 10.3 and wish me luck in getting a new computer. :D Like that's going to happen any time soon... ;)

arden said:
As much as I'd like to, I doubt I'm going to install Panther on my iMac any time soon, if at all. I hardly ever use OS X, certainly not enough to justify the price at this point, and I doubt I've got enough space for it.

But I want to use it really badly. All you foo's with it are so lucky... or fortunate, perhaps. I used Panther on a G5 at the store, and it was SWEET, to say the least. I loved Exposé and the new application switcher windowlet. Plus, I think the brushed metal look doesn't look too bad... it's just a shame they've decided to oust Aqua, as I think it looks much better. But oh well...

It feels weird to write stuff in this new layout, since this QR box doesn't wrap. It's really weird, it's like I'm writing on ticker tape or something...

Anyway, enjoy your copies of 10.3 and wish me luck in getting a new computer. :D Like that's going to happen any time soon... ;)

Arden, you are not alone... ::love:: my mac just works fine with OS 9.2.2, but with OS X it feels like my old pentium II 300 Mhz :D
I know that Panther has a faster GUI and a lot of speed tweaks,

when I'll be able to buy a faster Mac, so I'll switch to X... but, by now... i'll Think Classic :D

Zammy-Sam said:
is ichatAV still beta?

About iChat AV =

"Version 2.0 (v145)"

I wouldn't expect this to be a beta as the new iChatAV was something specifically advertised as being part of Panther.

Non Panther owners will have to pay US$30 or so for it, I think...

I haven't noticed any differences in operation yet, but the people I've been chatting with today have definitely NOT got the Panther version yet... So who knows?

:rolleyes:

Either way, I made 2 one-hour video-conferences to the UK from Thailand for free, so who's complaining?!

:D

voice- said:
How the heck do you get these discounts. I try AppleStore, but the site has no ticker or anything for discounts.

My new PB shipped October 9th, IMO that should give me Panther free if I just pay delivery. In any alternative case, I'm a K-12 student and should get that discount...would suck to pay full price now...

It's different with us Norwegians, you know :p
The Apple Store doesn't have the student discount, so you've got to use Office Line ( http://webstore.officeline.no ). Click the "student- og skolepriser"-link there. Although the price for hardware doesn't get under Apple Store's price, the software discounts are sweet. Take a look at FCP for example. They haven't listed Panther yet, though.
It's possible you can get it for "free" with your PB purchase, but I have a feeling it's the order date they consider to be the "date of purchase". You can check that here.

Back