Just switched to Mac after 20 years of Windows HELL!

beachhoppr

Registered
I just bought 2 Intel Core 2 Duo iMacs (one for my wife and one for myself). This came after my PC and 2 Windows laptops started their natural decent to cr@p! I was tired of reimaging the drives, dealing with registry cleaners, Antivirus stuff, Spyware removers, etc, etc. Add to it the normal configuration nuances of Windows, intermittant Explorer freezes...the list goes on and on as I am sure most here know. THAT being said...

I friggin love the Macs! What a worthwhile investment. The Apple sales guy was incredibly knowledgable and spent 2 hours teaching us how to use the Mac before we even said we would buy them. Installations are a breeze. Speed is brisk and I am now officially part of the club :)

Congrats for one!, Great choice on a MAc too...well you cant go wrong with any of it either.

Great investment, gaurantee it wont be outdated for atleast 3-5 years.... People still upgrading from the old G3 PowerPc Processors and still running strong.

If you need anything at all...everyone here is soo helpful and more then glad to help Just let any of us know

Congrats and Welcome!

I just bought 2 Intel Core 2 Duo iMacs (one for my wife and one for myself). This came after my PC and 2 Windows laptops started their natural decent to cr@p! I was tired of reimaging the drives, dealing with registry cleaners, Antivirus stuff, Spyware removers, etc, etc. Add to it the normal configuration nuances of Windows, intermittant Explorer freezes...the list goes on and on as I am sure most here know. THAT being said...

I friggin love the Macs! What a worthwhile investment. The Apple sales guy was incredibly knowledgable and spent 2 hours teaching us how to use the Mac before we even said we would buy them. Installations are a breeze. Speed is brisk and I am now officially part of the club :)

Consider going to your local book store and get the book (it should be there) "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Tiger Edition". You will be surprised how this book will help you.

Be aware that OSX is excellent but not perfect and you *will* get problems. Read about "repairing permissions". I do this routine before and after installing anything and seldom get problems. Leave your Mac switched ON overnight (at least once a week) so it can run its "housekeeping" jobs. Get an external Firewire drive and some backup software (I use ChronoSync) and set it to make periodic copies of your working files. Applications can be reinstalled; settings can be reapplied; but stuff that you create may not ever be replaceable.

A backup drive is a core part of your computer system so don't skimp on it!

If anything does go wrong, come here and ask *before* you mess with it and before doing any more work.

Back