Kern_protection_failure

cyberabbi

Registered
I haven't upgraded/updated anything in my system since the last tiger upgrade came out. my current configuration is:

model: powerbook5,1, bootrom 4.6.2f1, 1 processors, powerpc g4 (3.3), 1 ghz, 512 mb
graphics: nvidia geforce4 mx, geforce4 mx, agp, 64 mb
memory module: sodimm0/j20standard, 512 mb, ddr sdram, pc2700u-25330
airport: airport extreme, 400.17 (3.90.34.0.p11)
modem: lastdash, ucj, v.92, 4.0, apple version 2.6.6
bluetooth: version 1.6.0f2, 2 service, 1 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
network service: airport, airport, en1
pci card: txn,pcixxxx-00, cardbus, pc card
parallel ata device: matshitadvd-r uj-815,
parallel ata device: toshiba mk6021gas, 55.89 gb
usb device: bluetooth hci, , up to 12 mb/sec, 500 ma

i have been having difficulty with filemakerpro v. 7.0.3

i have created a new database (very similar to ones i created in the past) and suddenly the application closes for no apparent reason. the report reads:

date/time: 2005-08-12 13:33:54.268 -0400
os version: 10.4.2 (build 8c46)
report version: 3

command: filemaker
path: /applications/productivity/filemaker pro 7/filemaker pro.app/contents/macos/filemaker
parent: windowserver [73]

version: filemaker pro version 7.0v3 (7.0.3)

pid: 7007
thread: 0

exception: exc_bad_access (0x0001)
codes: kern_protection_failure (0x0002) at 0x00000000

i have been looking all over the web for solutions to this problem. i even created a newer db but the problem persissts.

any suggestions?

thanks.

cyberabbi - aic6@psu.edu

Check to make sure your hard disk is in good health: boot from the Mac OS X Install CD (Tiger), and select "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" menu. Highlight your hard drive on the left-hand side, and click "Repair Disk" on the right-hand side.

Repeat until it reports no errors on the disk.

Also, you could try repairing the drive's permissions: boot from the normal, internal hard drive, then open "Disk Utility" in the Applications/Utilities folder, and repeat the above, instead selecting "Repair Permissions" at the end.

This is just regular troubleshooting stuff, as your FileMaker crash could be caused by anything from errors on the hard drive to a bad stick of RAM to a broken installation of FileMaker to just about anything...

I have experienced the same problem with FMaker 6.0.1 and 6.0.4. It is currently occurring on 2 macs within the office.

I have performed all the usual maintenance/checks to no avail. I have also trial and errored different things in FMaker like deleting certain relationships/layouts etc.

It would appear my issue occurs when selecting a certain layout, however it is occuring on the current version of the database as well as older backups which worked fine previously.

Back