Kernel Panic and the Trash

Sapwood2

Registered
Ok, sorry if this is a common thread, but my problem has a few key details that are different. I dragged my applications, and everything except the system and user folders into the trash, I just wanted to know if it was possible. I expected I could get them out, but then my trash can became a document, and it froze up, and the keyboard and mouse stopped working. I have tried reseting the PRAM and the PMU (Maybe incorrectly?) and it still didn't work. The keyboard and mouse are unresponsive except when I used the P+R+alt+Command keys. I can't reload the software, because the disk drive is activated from the keyboard. I have a iMac G4 with 1 GHz clock rate, 768 MB SDRAM, OS X 10.3.9, and an 80 GB hard drive. I tried to pry open the disk drive and it is to stuck. Also if there is a emergancy button that would help. Could Norton Disk Doctor work? I can't make any devices connected by USB or FireWire work. (Sucks to be my iPod) I know I am an idiot, for doing something like that. Do you think I have to send it to Apple and pay a ridiculous amount of money from $200-$800 dollars to repair it. I hate KERNEL PANICS!

Or ... you could insert the 'Panther' install disc, reboot the Mac (with the 'C' key pressed, or '<option>' key pressed - and select the 'Panther' install disc ...), and perform (if possible) an 'Archive and Install' or an 'Erase and Install' otherwise.

Now you know - 'I just wanted to know if it was possible.' - it (the trashing of need OS files and folders) is possible; but, not advisable.

I think Sapwood2 already claims that the CD tray won't open....

Try this: Shut your Mac off. Then boot while holding the mouse button. Continue to hold the mouse button, and the CD tray should open shortly after the video comes on. Put your OS X installer CD in the tray and push it closed. Hold the power button a few seconds, and the power will shut off again. Now, reboot while holding the letter C, and you should boot to the OS X installer, continue with that, choosing the Option (on the screen where you select the drive for installing) to Archive & Install.

Otherwise, I echo Barhar, - Just like enabling your root user, which allows you to do most anything, including deleting all your files, including the system - life is full of choices, not all are good... :)

I would boot in Single User Mode by holding Cmd-S while pushing the power button. Then move the Directories back to their original place.

Obviously, this is for people familiar with the command line…

But to copy your Application folder back to where it belongs, do the following:

Boot in Single User Mode. (white Text on black, that's ok)
type "mount -uw /" (without the quotes)
type "cd /Users/YOURUSERNAME/.Trash/"
type "ls" (you should read "Applications" in the list)
type "mkdir /Applications"
type "ditto -rsrcFork Applications/ /Applications/"
this copies your Apps back in place, only do so if you have enough free space on your HD!
type "reboot"

Beware of typos!
Hope the best. (Just kidding)

Back