Kernel Panic

Greg~NJ

Registered
More problems..... :-(
I began the install, formatted the disk, began to install packages, reboot time, I hit reboot, that's when everything went south.

After the reboot, I saw nothing on the screen. The mouse light would not light up, nothing. So I turned off the Mac. Minutes later I turned it back on and now I can't boot off either of the CD's or the hard drive. I have no idea what to do and I'm at the end. After trying to boot from anything I get a kernel panic with a grey circle with a line through it on the grey background.

The installer had completed copying the first disc and I assume was going to reboot and ask for disk two. But I saw nothing....

Now what? Should I try to remove the hard drive from the Mac and format it using a tool that will write seros to the drive?

Greg

Grey cicrle with the bar on it is not a kernel panic. It's probaly the way the OS X starts normally. Search on this site (you find button up in the page) for 'kernel panic', you will find how it looks.
Try again (sorry, I need more coffee before fully giving useful infos at this hour...)

I let it sit for an hour and it hasn't moved. LOL

At this point, I'm going to borrow my friends copy of OS 9.1 amnd install that on the drive, after I do a three pass wipe on it using software that I have. Then I'm going to sell this Mac. Nothing but problems.

Grey circle with a bar is documented on Apple's website -- somewhere -- as a kernel problem on startup.

I've had it happen when Disk Warrior or Carbon Copy Cloner failed to finish on an external firewire drive -- CCC's site documents that some Macs just don't work in this regard, no idea beyond that.

I did what you've thought about, put the drive internally, then put a bootable CD-ROM in the pod bay door -- did the reset button on the back, rebooted -- nothing -- rebooted again, the CD came up, formatted the drive with the Apple Disk Utility.

I notice in your equip info you have a beige G3, zip and Jaz. are any of these connected to a (removable) SCSI drive card (Not to internal or external built-in SCSI) If so, try removing that SCSI card and format/reinstall 10.2 again. Have you already upgraded to HD larger than 8 GB? If so, you MUST format with more than one partition, and MUST install OSX to the first partition, which MUST be less than 8 GB, or you will have problems. Also, 10.2 is more sensitive to problems with RAM, be certain that your RAM is good. (Working with OS 9 does NOT count) LOL

Originally posted by DeltaMac
I notice in your equip info you have a beige G3, zip and Jaz. are any of these connected to a (removable) SCSI drive card (Not to internal or external built-in SCSI) If so, try removing that SCSI card and format/reinstall 10.2 again. Have you already upgraded to HD larger than 8 GB? If so, you MUST format with more than one partition, and MUST install OSX to the first partition, which MUST be less than 8 GB, or you will have problems. Also, 10.2 is more sensitive to problems with RAM, be certain that your RAM is good. (Working with OS 9 does NOT count) LOL

The Jaz drive is SCSI, the Zip is IDE. The RAM that I own, is from Memory X, I would have to guess that the RAM is from a good dealer. The SCSI is down on the motherboard.

Is MemoryX a good vendor for RAM?

Thanks!

Lots of good memory vendors, but that proves nothing about YOUR memory. Take out additional memory (hopefully original memory is good, too.) The problem is, OSX is more sensitive to RAM problems that OS 9 ignores. Not that your memory is bad, but is only suspected. Anyway, don't leave your Jaz attached (or any other SCSI device) and try again. If you can get your system to boot and reinstall 10.2, then try the Jaz. OSX has issues with SCSI, hopefully that will get you going.

Here's the plan:

Remove all RAM but the orig. 128 megabytes of RAM and dosconnect the Jaz drive. Wipe the drive using my PC util. ;) And then try the OSX installer again.

Here's a quick question: should I disconnect my IDE Zip drive?

Originally posted by DeltaMac
The Zip (being IDE) should not affect install, Again, the problem may be SCSI related. How's it going?

I haven't had the time at all today to sit down and work on it. School takes up 80% of my time. (I'm on 15)

I'll post anything new as I begin to work on my Mac.

Greg

PS. Is there a way to disable SCSI on the Beige G3?

Nothing works. I completely wiped the drive. Nothing on it. Connected the drive backup, tried to boot off the CD. Nothing. All I get is a circle with an aroow through it. Waited 20 minutes, nothing. Used stock 128 megs of RAM. Nothing. No Jaz. I wonder if the problem is; I went from OS 8.6 to 10.2. Could that be a problem?

:(

Back