Keyboard navigation

cunnus88

Registered
This is on a macbook which doesn't have the separate home/end keys so please keep that in mind (and yes, I'm aware that fn + arrows will do something similar).

These things are driving me absolutely NUTS, and if you know fixes for them, please let me know.

1. On windows (no matter the application), you can select text from the current position of the cursor to the beginning of the line by shift + home. On FIREFOX on my macbook, shift + fn + right arrow selects up to the end of the line, but shift + fn + left will NOT select up to the beginning of the line.
  2. In windows explorer, you can page up or down and have focus on the files move along with the page. If you do fn + up /down, the focus does not move, so if you press your arrow key after you've moved your page, you're back where your focus is.
  3. In windows, if you hold shift and move around, the beginning of the selection always stays fixed. If you do this in mac (e.g. move up then down) the beginning of the selected area MOVES! What the hell is that all about.
  4. In windows explorer, if you hold down on the control key while moving around files, then push you space key, you can select multiple files while leaving the files you don't need alone. You can't do this in mac.
  5. No cmd + x for cutting and pasting files???!!!

Some of the inconveniences of Mac have driven me to use emacs' dired almost exclusively (and no, I don't want to install Quicksilver). In the end, if I get more proficient with dired, it might be even quicker than in windows. But knowing some workarounds to the above in mac would be nice.

These keyboard shortcuts work for me:
<Fn>-<Up> => Page up
<Fn>-<Down> => Page down
<Fn>-<Left> => To top of window (not move cursor)
<Fn>-<Right> => To bottom of window (not move cursor)
<Command>-<Left> => Cursor to start of line
<Command-Shift>-<Left> => Select to start of line
<Command>-<Right> => Cursor to end of line
<Command-Shift>-<Right> => Select to end of line
<Command>-<Up> => Cursor to start of page or open parent directory
<Command-Shift>-<Up> => Select to start of page
<Command>-<Down> => Cursor to end of page or open directory
<Command-Shift>-<Down> => Select to end of page

In windows explorer, if you hold down on the control key while moving around files, then push you space key, you can select multiple files while leaving the files you don't need alone. You can't do this in mac.

You mean in a window file listing? Selecting some files but skipping others between them?

Command click.

Well you always could study Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts. Plus have you gone to your System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts tab and created your own short cuts?

Lastly everyone Mac computer expert knows in Windows in messed up in their proprietary shortcuts. In every Unix based it was always highlight the word, middle click to paste the copy in the location you want. In OS X it is command+c=copy, command+v=paste.

One more thing, this is not Windows, it is a Mac. Your transition will go smoother is you try to remember that.

P.S.: You seem to be the prefect candidate for the book Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition. I personally switch several coworkers and they all praised this easy to read book.

Well you always could study Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts. Plus have you gone to your System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts tab and created your own short cuts?
That still won't fix the idiotic behavior of focus staying where you first started. That's why I'm using my Mac as a glorified X11 terminal right now.

In OS X it is command+c=copy, command+v=paste.
Yes, but you still can't do cmd+x on files.

Anyway, thanks for replying. I got a Mac only because it had X-forwarding out of the box. I was hoping for more, but my use of it has never advanced beyond that. Of course, the fact that it looks so pretty is nice, but does nothing for ease of use.

And your point is...?

Why should I go through the trouble of creating a second cmd + delete?
He was only trying to help you.
Is their a need to be rude??

I think you might need to calm down.
This is a different operating system.

Apple do not copy things, Unlike another company I know of.

You chose to get a mac. Therefore you chose to change. Yeah sometimes the changes are tricky but.. Do you get viruses, error messages, crashes? No. Plus. Macs look the part.

Welcome to the iWorld.
Dont rush it.

C.J

Fair enough.

But none of you have answered or provided solutions to any of my questions/complaints. Just a simple "yes, it's possible" or "no, it's not" would have been much much more informative than, "Things are different, and they're better, so suck it up."

Fair enough.

But none of you have answered or provided solutions to any of my questions/complaints. Just a simple "yes, it's possible" or "no, it's not" would have been much much more informative than, "Things are different, and they're better, so suck it up."

I listed the web site for the shortcuts and you rejected my suggestion. Sorry for making you mad.

I listed the web site for the shortcuts and you rejected my suggestion. Sorry for making you mad.
Hoping I don't sound too strident, I did not reject your suggestion. I followed the link, looked at them, and found that they did not solve my problems. Dare I say they were irrelevant?

And you are free to interpret my next question as born of pique somewhat, but did any of you even read my original set of questions/complaints? If they were unclear, please ask for a clarification. I appreciate that you guys are taking the time to respond, but I feel as if I am asking questions about a pain in my back, and you are promoting skin care products instead.

Last edited:
Hoping I don't sound too strident, I did not reject your suggestion. I followed the link, looked at them, and found that they did not solve my problems. Dare I say they were irrelevant?

Well sorry again for trying to help you. You obviously like mouthing off to gift givers, so goodbye!

Here are some direct answers:
  • On windows (no matter the application), you can select text from the current position of the cursor to the beginning of the line by shift + home. On FIREFOX on my macbook, shift + fn
    + right arrow selects up to the end of the line, but shift + fn + left will NOT select up to the beginning of the line.
SHIFT COMMAND left or right arrow does this or hold down the Mouse Button and drag your desired selection... then do what you want with it paste, copy or cut. Furthermore, you can select the text in this manner and then hold shift down and copy it over to another application if you want.

• In windows explorer, you can page up or down and have focus on the files move along with the page. If you do fn + up /down, the focus does not move, so if you press your arrow key after you've moved your page, you're back where your focus is.
Why don't you just use TWO fingers on the track pad and scroll up, down and side to side. Is that not far more effective? Try to withdraw the windows mentality when working with OS-X

• In windows, if you hold shift and move around, the beginning of the selection always stays fixed. If you do this in mac (e.g. move up then down) the beginning of the selected area MOVES! What the hell is that all about.

Works for me... Put your cursor in any text and hold Shift and use arrows to select above or below text. Your problem is: you don't need to hold shift down... just click and hold the mouse button and it does what you want.

• In windows explorer, if you hold down on the control key while moving around files, then push you space key, you can select multiple files while leaving the files you don't need alone. You can't do this in mac.

In the Finder... Hold down Command &#8984; and start to click the INDIVIDUAL files you wish to select.

• No cmd + x for cutting and pasting files???!!!
Ohh that one i have not actually ever needed!!! Either i copy the needed file, move it, or i delete. Click and drag it where you want to. If you find a CUT function be sure to post it.

...But knowing some workarounds to the above in mac would be nice.
Give it time... i've used windows for 15 years, from Servers to desktops... the efficiency and speed has far exceed my needs since my move to OSX.

Warmly,

CaribbeanOS-X

PS. Take it easy on the guys here, we're all in this together to offer free support.

Thanks for your time, guys.

Judging by your (non-)responses, my conclusion is: you can't work with finder using the keyboards alone. The mac os was, is, and pretty much always will be something that you need a mouse for.

Back to emacs, dired, and the terminal for me, then.

As for some of my other questions, I guess no way around 'em either.

Two articles about keyboard hacks that the OP may find useful:
http://www.crabappleforest.com/2008/04/keyboard-hacks-part-1/
http://www.crabappleforest.com/2008/04/keyboard-hacks-part-2/

And for what it's worth, I will just say that the differences in the Mac keyboard was one of the things that nearly drove me to tears when I first switched. When you have spent 20 years or more doing things a particular way, it's not easy to switch to a totally different method. Imagine what would happen if some automobile manufacturer came out with a car where you accelerated and braked using your hands, steered using your knees, and worked the transmission with your left foot - even if that were perfectly functional, people who have learned to drive using steering wheels and foot pedals for the brake and accelerator would hate it.

Linux is also different from Windows, but they didn't feel the need to reinvent the keyboard to the same degree that Apple did (though there are a few irritating differences there also). Thing is, this is a computer, and keys are defined in software, therefore it should be possible to make any key do anything, so why the insistence of some folks in trying to force people into working in ways that are totally different from anything they are used to? And why is it we have no problem trying to achieve compatibility on the big things (graphic image formats, document formats, etc.) but some people get into a snit when people want a relatively small thing like keyboard compatibility and familiarity?

Back