Keyboard shortcut for boot option menu ???

macattack600

Registered
I have a cracked screen on a early macbook. I want to use the correct restore discs to reinstall fresh I do not have a way to use a external drive or firewire. I cannot get the the display to recoginize the installer i have usb keyboard and mouse it will work fine if I'm trying not to use startup disk or c key . I've heard that if you quickly shut the lid as soon as it boots it will read the display , did this nothing happend actually the screens on boths displays stayed black. Is there a way if I hold the option key during boot that I could shortcut select from anything but the screen (ie) keyboard, the dvd drive to start the installer. Any other tips would help thanks.

Last edited:
This is normally done by pressing the 'C' key on power-up.
This makes the computer attempt to boot from the optical drive.

LOL thanks. I know that I've done that I wanted to select which one to boot into without using the mouse is what I wanted to know cause of the screen. I've since took it apart and took loose the display on the lappie screen and go direct. Another question I had was when I get to the boot option menu I see something that looks like a lock when I have my gray restore cd in the drive , what does that mean ?

pressing the "C" key will start from the optical drive and start the installer 'without' the need to use a mouse, just like what you asked for in your original post.

If the lock is when you try to option-boot, that should mean that you have a firmware password, which will prevent booting to other media (including holding C - which would also not be allowed) without entering that password.

Back