Keyboard with mis-programmed keys

ChrisM666

Registered Idiot
I recently got an el cheapo Mac-alike Bluetooth keyboard. It's fine enough, but I notice that many/all of the Function keys are off-kilter. They tend to display the behaviour they would when the Fn key is pressed: No Dashboard on F12, but Volume louder and teh key beyond F12 - says 'Del' with a padlock icon - is a Sleep key. F3 has a magnifying glass icon abut does nothing noticable. Esc key has round-cornered square on it and doesn't do 'Escape'-type things.

Pressing them in combo with FN, Control, Option or Command does little too - except while writing this one of them seemed to shut the keyboard down for a few minutes! I tried to record their key codes with the free Key Code app but the 'Esc' and F-key presses were intercepted before it could return their codes.

Any ideas how to get the standard key presses back, please?

Try changing the setting in the keyboard pref pane.
Check the box: "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"
If that box is already checked, then un-check it.

You can verify the operation of the various keys on your keyboard using the Keyboard Viewer, available (depending on your OS X version) in the Language & Text pane, Input Sources tab, or (before 10.7) the International pref pane/Input menu. Check next to keyboard viewer, then open it from the flag menu that appears in your menubar. You'll see an on-screen representation of your keyboard as you press any keys.
You should see a response for each key that you press, along with what happens to the key when you press modifier keys, such as shift, option, etc. You'll also see each key return to OFF when you release, so it's a good method to test all of the keys on your keyboard.

Try changing the setting in the keyboard pref pane.
Check the box: "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys"
If that box is already checked, then un-check it.

I'm using OS X 10.9 and can't find that tick-box in keyboard prefs, alas. Pressing the modifier keys along with the said function keys makes little difference and doesn't return to default. :(

I have not mentioned the supplier's name yet in the hopes that they will reply to my two emails as soon as the Xmas rush is over.

It's like this: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13982

However, keyboard settings are also specific to the individual keyboard (some settings are not viewable if the keyboard does not support it)
And, as I said, you CAN use your Keyboard Viewer to see exactly which keys respond when you press each key. That may help you decide how to best use your keyboard.

Thanks for the thought, DeltaMac. I have already checked that link and looked for that pref pane option but it's just not there, no matter what Apple say. The Viewer shows the key pressed except when its a bound F-key: F12 (dashboard) is bound to 'vol up' and that screen indicator is shown and no registering in Viewer of the key press. Doing the same with a conventional Macally keyboard has Dashboard sweeping across the screen before any keypress is shown in Viewer.

Have a Happy New Year!

Back