keyboard

mjbjohn

Registered
My optical pro mouse is acting erratically and is not functional. One opinion is that the behavior is as a result of several erroneous files located in my user folder. My question is how can I maneuver into that file and delete the erroneous files just using the keyboard. My system is a macpro using snow leopard and am using a usb connnected mouse. I have already tried a new mouse but it changed nothing. Thanks

Why would files on your folder make the mouse act erratically? How could it know about the files? But, on your question. Start the terminal.app (I don't know how you can do that if the mouse is not working). Type

Code:
cd 
rm -i name-of-the-funny-file

The "cd" stands for: go to my home-directory (so I guess, you might need to add "cd Desktop", if by "home folder" you meant Desktop. The "rm -i" stands for delete the file, but ask me first (press y to the question).

I don't know that the files would make a difference but it has been the only suggestion I have received so far as to the mouse's behavior and I have no idea what would cause the problem myself. I will try your suggestion.
Thanks

You can start the Terminal application by using the Spotlight hotkeys (typically command-space).

Is this a wired or wireless mouse? You say USB, but it could be a wireless USB dongle, or a wired USb mouse. If wireless, you may want to check out any wireless telephones in your location (not cellphones, but wireless landline phones) as they can interfere with the frequency on some wireless mice.

Also, is the mouse connected directly to the computer, or via some kind of USB hub? It's typically best to have the mouse connected directly to the computer, or directly into the Apple-branded keyboard.

It is a wired mouse via usb and is connected to the hub in the apple keyboard. The mouse will only track vertically for a short distance and then reverts back to the bottom of the screen and it won't track sideways at all nor will it open files or icons on the dock. I thank
you for your response.

Back