Keychain Flash storage issues...

arnie

Registered
I just bought on eof those little Flash storage devices (256mb) that plug into USB slots and you can literally carry around on your keychain. All of that is very convenient - - beats zips etc.

But, I am having problems copying application files successfully. When I try to launch them on the target computer, they fail to open. I called Kingston to inquire what was wrong and how to fix the problem, but was toldd only that their devices are meant only for copying "files".

Aren't application files just another form of data file"
Whats the story here??

First, if you are using OS X, you can not just copy applications. Some applications need to install support files in other folders of your drive. Most applications and programs need to be installed not copied.

Files like downloaded hqx, dmg, or smi files. Documents like cwk, doc, or pdf. Images pic, jpg, giff.... On the other hand, if you have a program that all you need to do is drag from the disk image to the drive, that will work, also.

Cheryl said:
First, if you are using OS X, you can not just copy applications. Some applications need to install support files in other folders of your drive. Most applications and programs need to be installed not copied.

Files like downloaded hqx, dmg, or smi files. Documents like cwk, doc, or pdf. Images pic, jpg, giff.... On the other hand, if you have a program that all you need to do is drag from the disk image to the drive, that will work, also.

thanx for your info and reply. I should have ben more explicit. I later copied the exact same files onto an external firewire drive, and then onto the laptop as a test, (instead of using the flash device) and th eapplication file worked just fine.

So the issue relates directly to the media not the nature of files themselves...no? btw, the application in question was only iPoker, a shareware game, not a major business application...

have your formatted it as hfs+?

I dont really understand apple filesystems, but when you copy to a fs without the resource fork and back you lose data that might be required for the programs

fbp_ said:
have your formatted it as hfs+?

I dont really understand apple filesystems, but when you copy to a fs without the resource fork and back you lose data that might be required for the programs

We did not format it at all. just used it as it was shipped. Your description about lost data recalls the manufacturer's explanation... but, again, my puzzlement is why would copying an application file be any different from any random data file?

The file system that the keychain shipped with and Macintosh's native file system (HFS+) could be different. Different file systems keep track of different information of files stored on the media, and I'll bet that keychain is formatted as FAT. If so, the files you copy to it are losing key pieces of data (namely the resourse fork, like cybergoober said) and when those pieces of data are gone, Mac OS X doesn't know what to do with the file... in short, the file is "changed" when you copy it to the keychain and is no longer the same file that it was before.

Is it possible to reformat the keychain? You should be able to do this through disk utility, but check with the manufacturer first to make sure you won't damage the keychain flash by reformatting it to a different file system.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
The file system that the keychain shipped with and Macintosh's native file system (HFS+) could be different. Different file systems keep track of different information of files stored on the media, and I'll bet that keychain is formatted as FAT. If so, the files you copy to it are losing key pieces of data (namely the resourse fork, like cybergoober said) and when those pieces of data are gone, Mac OS X doesn't know what to do with the file... in short, the file is "changed" when you copy it to the keychain and is no longer the same file that it was before.

Is it possible to reformat the keychain? You should be able to do this through disk utility, but check with the manufacturer first to make sure you won't damage the keychain flash by reformatting it to a different file system.

thanx. We have a call into Kingston on the HFS+ question.... Ill post back on what they tell us.

You should be able to reformat the flash drive in Disk Utility (at least I can reformat mine) but if you reformat it to HFS+ you will no longer be able to use it on PC. That might not be an issue for you but the main reason I have mine is to transfer files between work and home.

thanx to all of you who replied with suggestions. Here is the reply I received from Kingston... It WAS the formatting!!

The USB Data Traveler is formatted FAT16 by default.
If you plan on using the USB Data Traveler with devices other than Mac OS
systems than you should keep the default format. Files can still be
accessed but you must select the application to open the document.
If you intend on using the USB Data Traveler with only Mac OS based systems
then you can format the USB Data Traveler with the Mac OS format.
Warning: Any device other than a Mac OS based system will not be able to
access the data. To format the drive, follow the directions below:

Startup in Mac OS X
Go to the 'Go' menu and select 'Applications'.
Double click on the 'Utilities' folder.
Double click on 'Disk Utility'.
Highlight the drive (e.g. 123.00 MB LEXAR).
Go to the 'Erase' tab.
Select 'Mac OS Standard' and click the 'Erase' button.

Note: Using the default file format of the KUSB/xx USB Data Traveler,
application association is lost when copying a file from Mac OS 9 to the
Data Traveler and then trying to open the file under Mac OS X or vice
versa. Below is an FAQ that has been created to deal with this situation.
This FAQ has been posted to our website and can be viewed at
http://www.kingston.com/support/faqs/dmr/media_5.asp
This should resolve the issue that you are having. If you have any other
questions, please respond to this email with the email history so that we
can help.

Best regards,

Brad Burnham
US Technical Support
Kingston Technology

Back