KVI switch connection problems

I have two computers, one an old Dell I use infrequently but still need it, the other a Mac Mini which replaces a Linux based Gateway. Both connected thru a Belkin KVI switch to use the same monitor, mouse & keyboard.

Now the Mac apparently needs its own keyboard (with the command key, etc.) and both the keyboard and the mouse as you all know are USB connected. So I find myself in the silly position of having to keep two keyboards and two mice, one set for the Dell connected through the KVI switch using PS2 connectors.

The video monitor thankfully uses the same connector and so that works both computers.

The Mac keyboard and mouse are connected directly to the Mac bypassing the KVI switch. Since the video monitor is controlled by the scroll lock key (hit twice followed by the "1" key for the Mac and "2" for the Dell) which I don't see on the Apple keyboard, and because the KVI switch is operated by the PS2 connection, turning the Dell off (power off) disconnects the Mac from the monitor and I am in the position of having to keep the Dell turned on in order to run the Mac.

I found some adapters online, at:
http://www.networktechinc.com/usb-ps2.html
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184

I would like to be able to use the KVI switch for both computers. SO, my questions are:
1) will these adapters work?
2) will the Mac work with a Windows keyboard (i.e.: what happens to the command key?)?
3) If no to 2) above, is there an equivalent on the Mac keyboard to the scroll lock key?

I did a search on KVI connectors and found nothing so am submitting this new thread. Thanks in advance.

Barry

Well the KVM will have to support DVI and USB. Both computers must have a DVI port and use USB Keyboard and mouse connections. Plus you can map any keyboard to the way you want it. To do this open System Preferences->International pane-> and select the 'Input Menu' tab. In there put a check mark in "Show input menu in menu bar". Then in the same pane put check marks in 1)Character Palette 2) Keyboard Viewer and in your countries flag (in the pull down menu items). This way you can click on you county's flag in the menu bar and bring up several sub programs to map and watch what keys you are pressing at the moment.

Plus you can get a pretty keyboard that has both Mac and Windows printing on the keys. also there was a a MacWorld article especially about mapping Windows keyboards to a Mac.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the article, looks like what I need to reduce to one keyboard (I am guessing [correctly?] that the Windows keyboard can be used for the Mac and not the other way around?) that makes sense for a KVI switch. Since I use an optical mouse (which Belkin admits is not reliable with their switch), the easiest is to keep two mouses (?) connected directly to each computer and not thru the KVI switch, they are certainly small enough.

But...

what about the adapters? As I mentioned above, the video is NOT the problem at all, the KVI handles both computers thru the same monitor quite well. It's the keyboard that's the problem, if I use the Windows keyboard for both the Dell & the Mac, well, the Dell & the KVI switch both use PS2 connectors - I have an adapter (PS2 male to USB female) that came with the Logitech mouse, I will try using a Male/female USB cable extender to connect the KVI keyboard PS2 outlet to the Mac Mini USB - if successful or not, I'll let you know how it turned out. I think the keyboard article you included will do the trick.
Barry

Back