header ('HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently');
die; // Don't send any more output.
}
unset($req); unset($newReq);
... ...
?>

:D, I love that one :p

Originally posted by voice-
ksv, do you really count Bokmål and Nynorsk as 2 languages?

No, but I think they're officially counted as two different written languages. They differ more than Bokmål and Danish. They're both Norwegian, though :)

An example for you non-Norwegian-speakers :):

English: I have a dog.
Bokmål: Jeg har en hund.
Nynorsk: Eg har ein hund.

As you can see, both the personal pronoun and the indefinite article differ.
The grammar is generally the same in both Bokmål and Nynorsk, but Nynorsk has a few more conjugations of personal pronouns as direct or indirect object, and seperates more between genders. In bokmål, you can use male articles for female nouns. E.g:

English: a chimney
Bokmål: ei pipe/en pipe

English: the chimney
Bokmål: pipa/pipen

As you can see, 'ei' is the female indefinite article in Bokmål, 'en' the male, '-a' the female definite article and '-en' the male.

Fascinating, huh? :D

Originally posted by Giaguara
Jag har två katter, inga hund .. :p

Weey :p
That's Swedish actually, in Norwegian (bokmål) that would be "Jeg har to katter, ingen hund".

Questions? :D

Can we count different Swiss German dialects that use different words for the same concept as different languages ?

At least Swiss Germans tend to considere German as a foreign language.

Example:
(English): (German): (Swiss German-Bern)
Tuesday: Dienstag: Ziestig
Butter: Butter: Anke

BTW anyone in here speak romanche ? (sp?) I heard that it is one of the official languages in switzerland but almost no one seems to speak it :p --- (pollwise I dominate this group hehehehe)

yi snakker lit dansk, un peu français, and some real good english...

but im too young to have learned a language real good in the US... wish I lived in europe i would probably speak like 3 languages now.

English (Native)
Japanese (Travel)
Italian (Family)
German (Family)
Arabic (Travel)
Russian (School)
Spanish (School)
French (School)
Gaelic (Family)
Latin (School)
Greek (School)

I can understand them all, read them all, write them all, can't really speak Latin or Greek, and I can be understood in the rest.

Not too bad considering I'm 17. My parents travel a lot and have pushed me to learn a lot.

I don't think we can count dialects, only officailly rated languages. E.g. in the Nehterlands there are two official languages: Dutch and Frysk (Frisian), while regional dialects like Limburgs (the southern part the Netherlands) aren't considered languages, even if they use a lot of different words.

If we do count dialects I'lladd to my list:

Limburgs (Kirchroa)
Sicilian (Siracusa)
Trentino (Levico)

I don't think there is a semi-official written form of these... so these are speak/understand only :)

Giaguara: I know that they are dialects, even officially recognized dialects, but not languages, which has to do a lot more with 'official' status than with richness, history and # people who speak it... Written forms differ a lot from town to town, so even if it is possible to make a dictionary of it, it would apply only to a small area (or city) or would have to report all kinds of tiny little variations.

Thanks for all the links though ;)

Nah. It's computadora, in Spanish the combitchputers are female. Even Macs. In Italian only Suns are female...

Swedish
Norwegian
Danish
English
French

Understands written german
Can follow a conversation in dutch and speak about simple stuff.
Understands some latin.
Can be polite in greek :)

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
BTW anyone in here speak romanche ? (sp?) I heard that it is one of the official languages in switzerland but almost no one seems to speak it :p --- (pollwise I dominate this group hehehehe)

My grandmother was romanch, i've been one month in that region, but i don't speak it and it's very difficult to read, with the exceptions of new words taken from Italian or German.

Back