Latest Security Update 2006-003Ti and Flash, VPC Sound issues

jonpb

Registered
Hi,

I updated to the latest sec. update and now Flash will not play any sounds (mp3's in web sites, for example) and when I launch VPC, I get an error saying "VPC is unable to play sounds, a future mac os update may fix this problem".

Anyone experienced this? Is there a way to 'uninstal' the latest security update and roll back to an earlier version?

I need this functionality (in development on two sites now) and can't afford downtime. Thanks so much,

jonpb

I've done some digging and have discovered that Macromedia err... Adobe is working on an update to this problem. It happens on Linux also. However,

This was NOT an issue until I did the security update. Can anyone out there corroborate the following issues AFTER performing the 2006-003 sec update:
1) Flash FLVs not playing audio (video plays, no sound)
2) Virtual PC (7.0.2) unable to play system sounds
Many thanks in advance...

J

Perhaps no one is experiencing the exact same phenomenon, or perhaps no one has read your post in the short few hours it's been posted. You also did not include certain required information about your setup, such as what model of Macintosh you're using as well as any pertinent version numbers (OS X version? Flash Player/plug-in version? VLC version?).

This site is contributed to by nothing but volunteers -- there isn't a paid person sitting at a desk constantly monitoring these forums looking for posts to answer. When a volunteer (no different from yourself) comes across your thread and has an answer, rest assured they'll reply to your post.

My response was a joke ElDiabloConCaca, although a bad one I guess... I meant no offense. I will admit frustration at experiencing issues, however... and I know (and appreciate) that folks here are Volunteers.

You're correct, I often forget the important info. At any rate: 10.4.6, flash 8.0.r24, VPC 7.0.2, and security Update 2006-003ti, QT 7.1.

I did find that Macromedia is working on the problem, and it's prevalent in MAC and Linux. I could find no info pointing to Apple 's Security Update as the culprit, however. Odd thing is, I have two computers that I've updated at the same time with Security Update and Quicktime Update, and both exhibited the same behavior.

For example, if I go to CNET, I can see the FLVs playing, but not hear them. I'm unsure if anyone else has come across this (although I suspect not).

Curious...

J

I too have experienced problems with my i-book when I've run some software update, which has updated my ibook G-4 to OSX 10.3.9. On Fox Sports sites, and ESPN, and whereever there seem to be flash content, I just see the quicktime logo with a question mark overlay. At one point, I was able to uninstall 10.3.9, because it also affected my ability to print with my officejet 4100 aio in classic mode. And some operation went back to normal, but not most flash content. But I inadvertantly installed it again. I've seen afix on this site which involves running a terminal script which I am about to use. Am assuming my profile will show, as this is my first post, and I just installed the help and vnc software through macosx forum.

I've found a fix... at leaset where sound and Flash are concerned:

Apparently the audio output format gets changed to 48000 Hz (unsure if the security update did this or the Flash player install...). I launced the Audio MIDI Setup (Applications/Utilities/Adio MIDI Setup) and changed the 'Format' drop back to 48000Hz in the 'Audio Devices' tab. Sound was back fine...

You changed 48000 to 48000? Those are the exact same numbers.

...unless you changed 48000 Hz to 48000Hz - with no space between 48000 and Hz.

Back