Latest Software Update

Maximus

Registered
Since I performed the latest Apple Software Update, OS X has gone from being amazingly speedy and stable to being quite a bit more sluggish and buggy. I've had a number of problems in which I cannot copy and paste items from OS 9 applications directly into OS X applications, where the processing "wheel" spins and spins - until I have to force quit and sometimes reboot.

I noticed on the MacWorld forum, others were having problems as well. Has Anyone else had any problems.

I have the 400 Mhz black powerbook - the one with the hardware based DVD and no firewire ports. I don't know the specific model name. OS X is supposed to work fine on it and did quite well out of the box in October. In fact, the initial install was the best install I've ever seen.

My Powerbook has 384 MB of ram and a 20 GB HD.

One guys Opinion (FWIW) boot up into OS9, delete your OSX System folder, and the Library folder, I assume you have one partition on your HD. also from OS 9 you should see a couple of folders that are invisible in OSX, don't remember the names, those could be removed also, than do a complete reinstall of 10.1, go through initial setup, then immediately update through software update until no more updates are available (4 or 5 times, probably) That always speeds things up for me. A lesson I've learned with OSX, don't try a lot of the speed enhancing tricks, in my experience, the next system update makes those less than useless. The last couple of updates have made performance increases. example: time Booting to OS 9 or to OS X are almost equal for my system (within 5 seconds) - - That cutting and pasting, Ahhhh-- does work for me, but still has occasional glitches. Looking forward, maybe soon you won't have any need to use that 'in-between' stuff;)

Thanks DeltaMac. That seems like a probable and good course. Does OS X's System Disk not provide a good way to do this without manually removing files? I don't really like that option without really knowing what I'm doing.

I'm curious if I will lose my user account information, Mail settings, saved e-mail or other items.

I might also simply de-install some of the shareware and test drive software I've put on first. The cut and paste problem is typically between pasting a link from AOL's e-mail program to the carbonized IE.

If you don't touch your User folder, those settings you're talking about are mostly in there. Just don't choose to erase or format the drive when starting the reinstall, then you go through the new user setup, just use the same user name you've been using, and most everything should survive. I've done this procedure several times. and had no real problems. Usually just a restart brings all back Good Luck;)

Back