Latest ...

I'm waiting for a new mac pro line. The one's they're currently selling are old. They should at least drop the price a bit ...

Since the dawn of time, Apple hasn't "dropped the price a bit". Only when a new model comes out, you'll find some sell-out models at a cheaper price, and that's the time to buy when you're on a budget.

The question, for Apple, is whether they can already release a new model that will make people upgrade. If all they can offer is a wee bit of processor performance increase and maybe an additional graphics card option, they rather continue to sell you the current model at its current price.

I know they haven't, but they also used a different architecture which was a bit different. With Intel and AMD turning out CPU's at a much faster rate, the competition drops their prices accordingly as the hardware ages. You look at a 5 month old Mac Pro and compare the same hardware in an HP, DELL, etc and its WAY cheaper. Unless you buy the mac when it first comes out, you're overpaying. I'd be happier if they kept the price the same and updated the CPU's more often or something ...

You can't update CPUs more often than intel does if you're staying with intel. Apple doesn't need to play the same game, because they're _not_ directly competing. I don't see many people shopping for a "new PC" and then decide whether to get a Mac or a Windows PC based squarely on the features vs. price a particular machine offers. They usually decide what kind of machine they require based on what they want the machine to do. Usually, the decision for or against Mac OS is made well before the actual price tags. If they want to go Mac, they'll decide between a Mac Pro and an iMac (on the desktop side) if they need something powerful enough, and not between some HP workstation and a Mac Pro.

Intel releases newer chips at a much faster rate than IBM did.

They are competing directly...Apple even had compared Dell's configuration, and pricing at one of the key notes. The difference though, is that Dell will drop the price as the product ages.

I've witnessed many people walk out from the apple store saying I can get the same hardware for half... True some want OS X, some don't know...that's not the point I'm making.

My point was that Apple has a fixed price, and updates the hardware less frequently especially the Pro line. So unless you buy the hardware fresh, you end up buying dated hardware and over pay because the value of the internals has dropped.

Back