Leopard firewall seems barely configurable

MidnightJava

Registered
I hope I'm just missing something, but it seems the Leopard firewall took a huge step backward from Tiger. I want to configure it to permit certain ports to connect, and it seems I can't do that basic thing. All I see is a way to tell it which apps should be allowed to receive external connections. That's quite unsatisfactory to me; is there a way to just open up ports?

Yes it did take a step backwards and you should just stop using it. Luckily some freeware/donationware applications came along called NoobProof (for basic firewall connections) and WaterRoof (for really Advanced users). These two firewalls use the built in IPFW firewall that is included in the BSD core of OS X. This IPFW firewall is one of the best firewalls you can use and these two applications give a GUI to decades of command line firewall configuration that has almost been tested to death and passed with flying colors.

I hope I'm just missing something, but it seems the Leopard firewall took a huge step backward from Tiger.

I also think so. I've replaced it with ProteMac NetMine, it's a third party firewall, costs only around 20$, so I'm completely satisfied with this decision :cool:

Back