Leopard in bootloop

Tinseltoy

Registered
Hi,

My problem is the following; I recently installed Leopard. On my way to bed I saw that there was an update to be installed. I clicked install, but the install took to long (and was being executed in a special screen after the shut down of the computer, so there were no annulation options) and I was so annoyed with the length of the installation that I shut my computer down.

A big no-no, so it seems, because the next morning when I booted my computer, the log-in screen appeared. I set up-auto log-in, so seeing a login window was strange. The strangest and most frustrating is though, that when I entered my correct password, I first saw a blue screen and then returned to the log-in screen. There appears to be no way for me to log-in.

Things I've tried: safe boot, booting with the install DVD (I checked the harddrive for any problems, there were none) and booting while pressing an interesting variety of keys. With the same result: none.

I hope I have been clear about my problem. The updated I tried to install was the last one seeded by apple; there were three files to be installed. I hope you can help me.

Tip for the future:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever interrupt an install or update process. Doing so can render your entire system useless, requiring a complete re-install. There is nothing so important that an install must be interrupted, and if there is, it's probably something that doesn't require a computer to be brought along. I'm sure you already realize now that the better option would have been to leave the computer be overnight and let the update finish.

The updates installed when you reboot and/or shutdown on the "special screen" you speak of are highly sensitive and must never be interrupted. They're being installed upon shutdown because they're modifying critical operating system files that cannot be modified while the system is running.

What I'm thinking is that even if you manage to get your system into a running, workable state, there may still be residual damage from the installation interruption that you may as well go ahead and reinstall the entire system, then restore your data from your backups. That's the best advice I can give.

Doing an "Archive and Install" may preserve a lot of settings and preferences without having to wipe the entire drive.

If this is too drastic, I would suggest waiting for another reply with perhaps a less severe workaround.

Back