Leopard on powerbook G4

Max9221

Registered
Hey I crashed my 17'' powerbook g4 (please don't ask long story) and i want to know if i have leopard.iso on a dual layer disk if it will boot and run. I'm pretty sure its a PPC and I believe the processor clocks 1.6mhz. can anyone help?

If you made that ISO image yourself from a legitimate set of Mac OS X Install DVDs that you own a license for, then yes, it's simply a matter of burning the ISO image to a dual-layer disc with a program like Roxio Toast or Apple's own Disk Utility (or some other burning software on a PC).

If the ISO image came from an illegitimate source, then no, you cannot use that to install Mac OS X on your computer.

Apple has been known to provide replacement Software Restore DVDs to those that ask.

Well the image was made by the original owner or the powerbook and yes i have the license for them. I received the Powerbook as payment for house cleaning and moving so I don't actually have the license under my name but the image was made from a legitimate source from the legitimate owner.

Even if it was from an illegitimate source why wouldn't it work?

If it were from an illegitimate source, it wouldn't work because it's against the law. Without getting too preachy, that just means that this forum won't help you with anything like that, because we keep it strictly legit here. There are tons of other forums on the internet that will help you with that -- this just ain't one of them.

So, the ISO is legit, and it seems you have a license for it, so... will you be burning a dual-layer DVD on a PC or a Mac? Let us know what platform you're going to use and what burning software is at your disposal, and we'll walk you through the process if need be.

Yes it is a legit ISO. I'll be burning it on a dual layer disk on a PC and I can burn it with ImgBurn. One quick question, will this mac support Linux? because if i can ill just put linux on it and use it for programming.

Yes, I believe Ubuntu (and, as such, Debian), Fedora, and a few other distros offer PowerPC builds of linux that will run just fine on that PowerBook. The key is that you need a PowerPC build, since the G4 processor is a PowerPC-based processor (regular x86 builds are incompatible).

Mac OS X offers many development tools as well, depending on what kind of development you do. mySQL, php, Apache, etc. all come standard or are easily installed, and popular compilers like cc, gcc, and g++ are also available if you install the Xcode tools.

Awesome I'm a budding programmer and i would like one of my computer to be a dev computer, so why not my only laptop? haha you know?

But back to where we were will ImgBurn be sufficient for burning the ISO to the dual layer disk?

I'm not familiar with that burning program, but if it purports to burn ISO images to optical discs, then I'm sure it'll be just fine. There's no "special handling" needed with an ISO image of Mac OS X -- it's a standard ISO image not unlike any other.

Now, if it doesn't boot, that could mean that the ISO image was created incorrectly, which you really can't do anything about.

Could you help me find a version of linux that will work with my powerbook? I'm having trouble finding one and i really want to try it before I put leopard on it.

If you find one please post a link to it and i would be very grateful!

Back