Leopard problems after install/upgrade

aminde

Registered
Hi

I just installed/upgraded (from a black separately bought) leopard on my mum's iMac G5. The installation showed now problems, and then the computer restarted, booted up and gave me the account/log in screen. But here's the problem. After login in on (tried with several different accounts, but same problem), the computer freezes and then gives me the "you must restart your computer, hold down the power button," etc.

From what I've found online this is most likely a kernel error, so I tried Single User Mode (Apple(Cmd)+S), with "fsck -f" giving me = "The volume iMac appears to be OK."

I then ran Safe-mode and looked at the konsoll-log, and found these to be the last lines before the break down:

...stemStarter [59] kextload: kld_load_from_memory() failed for module /Libary/Extensions/VirtualPCOSServices.kext/Contents/MacOS/VirtualPCOSServices
...stemStarter [59] kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extention /Libary/Extensions/VirtualPCOSServices.kext
...stemStarter [59] link/load failed for extention /Libary/Extensions/VirtualPCOSServices.kext
...stemStarter [59] (run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

And from what I can understand, it seems like it's an old version of VirtualPC on the computer, causing the problem?

Am I right? Does anyone now how to solve this?

You can do re-install but do it a little different. When you put in the install disk and boot from it try an Archive & Install procedure instead. This way you will preserve sensitive data but replace (not update) the critical root system the OS X need to boot with. I my opinion this is the best way to update from one OS X to another.

Good Luck and please report back if successful or not.

Back