Leopard run on PC's?

What about CPU RAM Hard disk speed, bluetooth, etc? It is pointless argue about comparable when you are not comparing anything to start with.

Mac prices are lower for comparable hardware, were are you getting your prices at. for $1100 your can get a dual core Acer laptop a 100 gb hd and ATI 1600 128mb the same card in the lower end MBP. So you arugment does not hold water.

Have you ever used an Acer laptop? You're comparing it with the MBP? I had an Acer before I went to my Powerbook, and I can tell you, specs are not the only thing. The Acer felt flimsy. Pressing on they keyboard (not even that hard ...) would cause it to depress. The hinges of the screen felt week and you were always afraid you could break the damn thing. This is largely the case with laptops from HP/Dell/Packard-Bell/Acer/etc. The only laptop manufacturer who makes anything comparable in terms of quality seems to be Sony and perhaps Asus.

If you're comparing on specs alone, by all means go for the Acer. if you want a laptop which you won't be afraid to carry around for fear of breaking, Macs and Sony's are for you. Even the el-cheapo Macbook I'm using now feels far more solid than the usual PC laptops.

Mac prices are lower for comparable hardware, were are you getting your prices at. for $1100 your can get a dual core Acer laptop a 100 gb hd and ATI 1600 128mb the same card in the lower end MBP. So you arugment does not hold water.
Next time back your claims up with a little proof before throwing random specifications at us and expecting that to completely disprove what I said.

were are you getting your prices at.
I think this says, "From where are you getting your prices?" and the answer is here, as well as my own research:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/features/macproprice/index.php

Comparing to Dell/hp/Sony etc. makes no sense out here in the free market. You can get a cheapo PC at half the price of a Mac mini. And while a customer might end up with a machine priced in the Mac mini's range, they won't even look at the Mac mini in the first place, because they go to the store that advertises computers at half the price. Not much Apple can do about that. If you want to call this comparison unfair, you might. But it's sadly how most people think. Cheap, not different.

The Acer felt flimsy...The only laptop manufacturer who makes anything comparable in terms of quality seems to be Sony and perhaps Asus.
...Even the el-cheapo Macbook I'm using now feels far more solid than the usual PC laptops.

My experience with an iBook is kind of opposite to that. The whole keyboard was kind of warped and moved when you typed on it. If you pressed on the corner of the laptop the plastic would move and creak. My Acer on the other hand feels really solid. Sure, it's ugly but it feels much more solid than the iBook. I know this isn't always the case but I always seem to find defects on Apple laptops... I don't know if it's just easier because of the clean design or what but I can almost always find a seam that doesn't look right.

That said I'd still have an Apple laptop over an Acer but that little bugger was an awesome deal when I got it, plus Apple was still on PPC.

My experience with an iBook is kind of opposite to that. The whole keyboard was kind of warped and moved when you typed on it. If you pressed on the corner of the laptop the plastic would move and creak. My Acer on the other hand feels really solid. Sure, it's ugly but it feels much more solid than the iBook. I know this isn't always the case but I always seem to find defects on Apple laptops... I don't know if it's just easier because of the clean design or what but I can almost always find a seam that doesn't look right.

I don't know about the iBooks, as I've never owned one :(. However, what you're saying about Acer is surprising. Can you tell me what model it was? I recently bought a Macbook after looking at a lot of different laptops, and Acers still looked flimsy to me. I checked out the Aspire, Travelmate and even Ferrari (oh, what ugly machines...) lines and they all felt the same.

edit:
Just remembered that the iBooks had an easily removable keyboard to get to the ram slots. Perhaps that's why the keyboard was flimsy and warped easily upon pressure?

Often, people didn't correctly put the keyboard back into place on those iBooks, leaving it in a warped state. I found those keyboards to be very good indeed. But yeah, the flexibility of being able to remove it that easily made it feel a tad flimsy, of course. The worst thing about the iBooks, I think, was the weight, though. They were small, yet heavy, compared to ThinkPads of similar size. (The ThinkPads also feel more stable overall.)

It's a TravelMate 3002. Specs are kind of in my sig. It cost me $1000 dollars about a year ago, has bluetooth, firewire, PCI-X port replicator port and at the time had fast RAM and a decent pentium M, PCMCIA slot, gig eithernet, 802.11g wifi and weighs about 3 lbs. The CDROM is external, which is fine because I hardly ever use it. Compared to iBooks at the time it was a much better deal. It's very thin but the construction is sturdy. The screen's hinge supports the screen much better than my iBook's ever did.

Also, on the iBook's keyboard, the actual keyboard itself is warped and causes the weirdness. I was always secretly disapointed about the iBook, both by construction and performance. Certainly not the same experience as the PowerMac. Yea, maybe that's not a fair comparison...

Comparing to Dell/hp/Sony etc. makes no sense out here in the free market. You can get a cheapo PC at half the price of a Mac mini. And while a customer might end up with a machine priced in the Mac mini's range, they won't even look at the Mac mini in the first place, because they go to the store that advertises computers at half the price. Not much Apple can do about that. If you want to call this comparison unfair, you might. But it's sadly how most people think. Cheap, not different.

During my last trip in the L.A. region, I saw the whole Mac line at Fry's... therefore people can go there with the intention to buy the cheapest PC and end up leaving with a Mac mini... or a Mac Pro !

Back