Leopard Specs leaked?

Yeah, I saw that! Don't know what I think of widgets taking up space in the dock tho. Could be acceptable. :D

I'm still hoping for more media intergration, Quicktime icon preview in finder, etc..

I think the specs are bogus (er, "unfounded" would be a better word -- they may make it into Leopard, but I doubt that they're "confirmed" in any way), but the picture is genuine. Just $0.02.

There are a few things mentioned there that sound quite exciting, and most of that page sounds plausible. GUI scripting in Automator would be incredibly useful. Mail's new features sound *awesome* and will get a few people back from webmail clients. The Spotlight and Dashboard stuff all sounds quite plausible; the idea of Spotlight actually "highlighting" items in open folders was already alluded to when they added Spotlight to System Preferences in 10.4, and I guess it follows that this is what they were aiming for.

Frankly, I am quite excited about Leopard - I'm sure it'll be an awesome upgrade.

The other thing worth noting is the "64 bit" badge on the banner photos there. I guess the Core Duo2 must be near-enough ready to be announced at the keynote. This would be good as it essentially means that Apple will meet their 2-year target for transitioning to Intel right on the dot. :)

Hmm. Spotlight 2.0:
- Also spotlight will actually be almost instantanteous or as instant as they can hope.
Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, it was about Spotlight 1.0. And it was total bull. :( I'll believe it when I see it. I reeeally hope Smart Folders become useful in Leopard, but Spotlight has punched me in the gut too many times for me not to be skeptical.

- A safari Exposé is available, allowing Web pages in tabs to be treated as separate windows for the time of the Exposé .
We've already seen this feature in other WebKit-based browsers (Shiira, IIRC), but it performs terribly. Apple would need to do something clever to get this to work well. Here's hoping!

- Full screen and audio recording available in non-Pro version
- New CODECs, including loose RealPlayer and DiVX.
- Movie slideshow feature
Well, #1 and #3 fall into the "About Time" category, but #2 sounds very interesting. Obviously Divx would not be difficult — they could either license the official Divx codec or take the time to make their own MPEG4 decoder support b-frames and rewrite their ancient AVI parser. (Both of which should be done anyway.) RealMedia would be all new, though. I wonder about this, since I doubt RealNetworks would be happy about that...

Going from one "point" release to another (eg., 10.1 -> 10.2, 10.2 -> 10.3, etc.) has never been free (with the exception of 10.0 -> 10.1, and only for a limited time, because 10.0 sucked so bad).

They've always been $129.

I wouldn't expect 10.4 to 10.5 to be any different.

I was already looking forward to this question cropping up again. :) 129 USD. Oh and the screenshots? If someone _truly_ has a Leopard Preview version running, why would they only take screenshots of things that are this easily fakable? Wanna see the Finder windows. Changes in BootCamp. Etc.

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /archives/2006/08/exclusive_leopard_feature_set_leaked.html on this server."

doh

Powerpage.org

Found this on digg. Could be true, or false; guess we won't know until Monday. Although I'm always eager to hear opinions.

I don't buy this too much... Why? Where are the new Bootcamp specs for Leopard :) lol.. I didn't see it on the website lol.. When WWDC comes... I will believe it.

I don't buy this too much... Why? Where are the new Bootcamp specs for Leopard :) lol.. I didn't see it on the website lol.. When WWDC comes... I will believe it.
BootCamp isn't part of the OS, even though it will (probably) be bundled with Leopard. I assume the non-beta version of BootCamp will work with Tiger, too.

BootCamp isn't part of the OS, even though it will (probably) be bundled with Leopard. I assume the non-beta version of BootCamp will work with Tiger, too.

From what I heard BootCamp will be bundled with it as a Non-beta also.. but for me since I am a "Switcher" I understand fully its not part of the "OS..." but I do consider it that way only because of what boot-camp is capable of doing for OS-X and Windows... Etc...

My guess is it will be pre-installed of bootcamp. All you need is go to System Preference and start install XP or whatever. That what I think..

if these rumors are true, its gonna take a lot of work for me to stop buying an Intel Mac Desktop come December

Back