Leopard 'Spring 2007'..!

infinite-loop

Leave the whales in peace
Just had a look at "leopard' on the Apple website where it states 'Coming Spring 2007'...can this be right..??

They're giving us a look at how wonderful it's going to be but then tell us we'll have to wait 7 - 8 months for it..!!!

Yeah. Bummer. I was expecting January.

So there's a good chance Vista will make it to market before Leopard. Well, maybe that's a good thing; it'll let Apple steal Microsoft's thunder.

Yes, that's right. And be glad this ain't Microsoft. They make you wait years.

I never noticed it said Spring 07. Yeah, I would have liked a earlier release. Maybe, Apple is being cautious of release date?

They probably want to make sure they have a solid release, and continue to be light-years ahead of Windows.

Interesting replies one & all..!! I've been glad I've not relied on Microsoft for 12 years..never owned a PC & NEVER will. I agree that Apple will want a secure reliable OS, but to dangle in front of our noses like a carrot in front of a donkey seems a bit much to take. IF it's going to be spring '07 before we get our hands on it, then they might have chosen an event nearer to that time to release the news. They never tell us about new hardware (for obvious reasons.!) so why tease us about the new OS.?

Seeing as the general release date is SO far ahead, that leaves me in doubt as to whether some of the features they've so-far mentioned will actually make it into the final release..loads of time for Apple to make changes before we get our grubby paws on it.

If I was tempted by the new Mac Pro, I'd definately be waiting till after the release of OS 10.5 so it came with my new Mac..

Interesting replies one & all..!! I've been glad I've not relied on Microsoft for 12 years..never owned a PC & NEVER will. I agree that Apple will want a secure reliable OS, but to dangle in front of our noses like a carrot in front of a donkey seems a bit much to take. IF it's going to be spring '07 before we get our hands on it, then they might have chosen an event nearer to that time to release the news. They never tell us about new hardware (for obvious reasons.!) so why tease us about the new OS.?
This event wasn't for us, the consumers, so much. It is a Developers Conference. They can't just say to the developers, "Hey guys, this is Leopard. Neat, huh? Have your apps ready in two months for it. Thanks."

This event wasn't for us, the consumers, so much. It is a Developers Conference. They can't just say to the developers, "Hey guys, this is Leopard. Neat, huh? Have your apps ready in two months for it. Thanks."

In that case they should've kept it to themselves till nearer the general release time..or at least tried to..!

But to dangle it in front of us like that is just plain frustrating..

I might have to fork over the $500 and become a Apple Developer. Leapord looks awesome. While I use virtual desktops now with a variety of various utilities, I want something that is better and spaces is it!

In that case they should've kept it to themselves till nearer the general release time..or at least tried to..!

But to dangle it in front of us like that is just plain frustrating..
Are you a developer of software for the Macintosh platform? If so, then you should be thrilled that Apple is introducing you to the new age of technology so you can start preparing your applications now for Leopard compatibility.

If you are NOT a developer of software for the Macintosh platform, then the WWDC was not aimed at you. Steve didn't dangle anything in front of your face -- you simply peeked into a room that had nothing to do with you or your use of the Macintosh at this moment in time.

Tiger i think was more impresive that Panther...and thats why I was an early adopter of it. Leopard looks cool and all that, but TimeMachine i really dont have a use for on a laptop, and Spaces is cool, but I can live without it.

If I were to have a Mac Desktop, either a Mini, iMac or Mac Pro, yea i can see a big use for it.

Spaces seems good for people with small screens doing a lot of different work, i was hoping for something like this for a while however, cause all *nix desktops that i've used has the 4 different desktop screens and it is cool.

I upgraded to Tiger immediately, mainly because as a developer, I want to be on the cutting edge. As a user, though, I wish I'd stuck with Panther. It was faster and smoother, and best of all, it didn't have anything as half-baked as Spotlight.

I'll probably get Leopard immediately for the same reason. Core Animation sounds pretty neat. For someone like me who generally has all his disks packed to the gills, Time Machine is pointless.

I would definitely appreciate Spaces, but it's not as flexible as I'd hoped. For example, it seems like you can't have one application split across multiple spaces. I use BBEdit Lite for everything; programming, web design, writing, reading, and even web browsing (sometimes I write my forum posts in it). I'd like to have it accessible in just about every space I create, with different windows in each. Doesn't look like Spaces will allow that. Some third-party virtual desktop apps do allow that, but they're all a little quirky in their own right. I think it would take OS-level integration to get it to work really well, which is why I'm really disappointed that Apple took the easy way out.

Of course, we don't know everything about Leopard yet. There are probably some more big things Apple has under their hat for now.

I still consider 10.3.8 to be the height of OS X. Fast, stable, refined.

I'm a little underwhelmed at the Leopard sneek Preview. All they have shown us is a couple of new Apps (Time Machine, Spaces, ...) some App updates (Mail etc etc).
Not really seen any major OS changes yet (Finder ...)

I think they have still a lot of work to do in the next 7-8 months.

One thing I think is missing from the little we have seen so far Is an good "Out of Office" that integrates Mail and iCal (and OSX Server if you have it). I'm using a Squirrel Mail plug-in at the moment, but it does not have that "Apple" simplicity.
If Apple want the Mac to be adopted in the work environment they need to get this sorted. ie: Just put your vacation dates in iCal, click an "Out of Office reply" button, enter your reply text. Done! When you vacation passes the reply stops. It cant be that hard for them to do this, can it? Maybe it will be part of the new iCal Server on Leopard server???

Oh. another thing NEEDED is "Address book sharing" without .mac. An Address book server that automatically updates all the local LAN Mac's address book's and updates itself from the same local LAN Mac's ie: you have a list of clients in the address book on all your LAN Mac's. Client "A" changes his address, One person updates their Address book and POW! everyone's address book is updated.

These ideas would really work in the day to day running of a company. Fancy Templates in Mail that you can drop pictures into frames are pretty cool, but they are not going to make my life any easier.

Just my 2p worth

I have read over the last year or so how people have not upgraded or have not enjoyed Tiger. Panther was a great release, and I did feel Tiger was a bit rushed. Its current version has been working great. I have not looked back at Panther. I will upgrade to Leopard when it is released, and continue plugging forward.

I like Apple Mail, and like what I have seen in the few features they demonstrated. Instead of a "all-one" client, added notes & to-do-lists system wide is essential accomplishes what a "all-on-one" client achieves, in my opinion, or what I need.

Spaces is something we all been wanting, and feel that will be a nice change. I agree with Mikuro, It would have been nice to have multiple instances of the same program running in different spaces. Maybe it will be possible or in future releases! Got to give us a reason to purchase future releases. :eek:

The other features they demonstrated, where just for pure fun. Hell why not!!:)

out of office replies are the worst thing period.

I agree with you Fryke. The problem is my main client is Ford Motor Company. A huge organisation run totally on Dell PC's and Servers. For them the Out of Office is a way of life. We are a small Design Company run totally on Mac's. When we are away we get bombarded with the question "Why don't you turn your Out of office on? it gets tedious. the answer is "use an Out of Office system" I would love to tell them "Tuff luck! we don't use that kind of software" But then I would be unemployed!

What you need to understand is that this is a DEVELOPER preview. These are not the only features that will be in the final release. This release is intended for developers. I'm here at the conference, and I can tell you, this is going to be the biggest release since 10.0. The underlying technologies that have been introduced are nothing short of phemomenel. And since this is going to require a significant rewrite from some developers, it needs to be in our hands now.

So sit tight. During the next 9 months Apple is going to finish baking some of the other components you didn't see during the keynote, and developers will learn to include these new technologies in to our apps.

I'm a little underwhelmed at the Leopard sneek Preview. All they have shown us is a couple of new Apps (Time Machine, Spaces, ...) some App updates (Mail etc etc).
Not really seen any major OS changes yet (Finder ...)

I think they have still a lot of work to do in the next 7-8 months.

One thing I think is missing from the little we have seen so far Is an good "Out of Office" that integrates Mail and iCal (and OSX Server if you have it). I'm using a Squirrel Mail plug-in at the moment, but it does not have that "Apple" simplicity.
If Apple want the Mac to be adopted in the work environment they need to get this sorted. ie: Just put your vacation dates in iCal, click an "Out of Office reply" button, enter your reply text. Done! When you vacation passes the reply stops. It cant be that hard for them to do this, can it? Maybe it will be part of the new iCal Server on Leopard server???

Oh. another thing NEEDED is "Address book sharing" without .mac. An Address book server that automatically updates all the local LAN Mac's address book's and updates itself from the same local LAN Mac's ie: you have a list of clients in the address book on all your LAN Mac's. Client "A" changes his address, One person updates their Address book and POW! everyone's address book is updated.

These ideas would really work in the day to day running of a company. Fancy Templates in Mail that you can drop pictures into frames are pretty cool, but they are not going to make my life any easier.

Just my 2p worth

Back