Leopard & Yahoo email - incompatible??!

macquestions2

Registered
I have a free yahoo email account that I've been using forever. (I'd like to keep it free, BTW!) My old hard drive just crashed, and I upgraded my OS to Leopard. Now none of the buttons in my yahoo mail account will work. I can see my emails, but I can't compose messages.

Please help! I'm about to burst a blood vessel, I'm so frustrated.

Finally got it sorted out... I had to go to my husband's PC to log in to my Yahoo account - which still functions normally from there. Then I was able to click on "switch to Mail Classic." When I came back to the Mac & logged on to the Yahoo account, it pulled up the Mail Classic version, which works just fine.

Before I got that figured out, though, I set up a gmail account, thinking I'd have to switch. Gmail will let me get my emails for free through Mac's Mail application on the dock. (Yahoo would be $20/year - if it works.) I also downloaded a Mac gmail notification icon for free, so I get a notice with the email title & first line or two every time I get a new email. The online gmail site is more simplistic than Yahoo, but from the desktop, it seems more user-friendly.

I think I will slowly (like over the course of a year) switch to gmail. Other suggestions are welcome, though!

I'm surprised that Yahoo (free) mail doesn't work on your machine. Have you tried upgrading back to the standard version now that Classic is running OK?

I've had no problem with Yahoo Mail in Leopard. I'm running the free "upgraded" version, can't remember what it's called, and have been since I bought the MacMini soon after Leopard came out. Also runs fine with Leopard on my MacBook. It has done through all the versions.

Have you run the Combo update to get your version up to the latest 10.5.6?

[edit] Just checked and I've been on Yahoo Mail since March 2002 with no problem at all on several machines - Quicksilver/iBook/MacBook/MacMini.

This is not a Leopard issue. Yahoo has idiot developers who code to specific browsers rather and to a browser standard. Firefox is one of the browsers that they code to. They also code to Safari 4. Safari 3 in Yahoo Mail is flaky, but I have had no issue with Safari 4b.

Ever since upgrading to 10.5.7, Yahoo Mail crashes my Safari when I try to open a message, or even when navigating to the Mail window from the little icon in Yahoo Messenger -- which sometimes will not even launch. I have installed the latest versions of YM and Safari. Any ideas?

Edit: Safari crashes when I tried to edit this post in it. I'm in Firefox now, with no problems.I'm thinking we may have more of a Safari problem here than a Yahoo one. The problem predates the recent Safari update, though.

Last edited:
Ever since upgrading to 10.5.7, Yahoo Mail crashes my Safari when I try to open a message, or even when navigating to the Mail window from the little icon in Yahoo Messenger -- which sometimes will not even launch. I have installed the latest versions of YM and Safari. Any ideas?

Edit: Safari crashes when I tried to edit this post in it. I'm in Firefox now, with no problems.I'm thinking we may have more of a Safari problem here than a Yahoo one. The problem predates the recent Safari update, though.

YES YES YES.. I too am having the exact same problem!!! Whenever, I access Yahoomail using SAFARI, I am constantly having Safari crash on me (and correct- when accessing Yahoomail using FIREFOX, no problems). I recently upgraded to newest LEOPARD and Newest Safari versions.. I also am using the (non classic) version of yahoomail.

I have reported this problem to the APPLECARE helpdesk and they can't help me and sigh.. don't see a flurry of other reports with the same incidents...

IS this a SAFARI? Leopard or possibly YAHOOMAIL problem? WHo do I get to help troubleshoot this with me...

Primarily posting this, because I wanted to show that others are ALSO receiving the same errors as Mara_Snh...

Thanks! Skysz!

YES YES YES.. I too am having the exact same problem!!! ...
Which version of Safari are you running? For whatever reason, Yahoo! codes its webmail client for specific versions of the Gecko engine (Firefox, Seamonkey, etc.), IE, and Safari. Yahoo! Mail has issues with Safari 3, but it works just fine with Safari 4.

QUOTE: Which version of Safari are you running? For whatever reason, Yahoo! codes its webmail client for specific versions of the Gecko engine (Firefox, Seamonkey, etc.), IE, and Safari. Yahoo! Mail has issues with Safari 3, but it works just fine with Safari 4.

Thanks for the quick response. I am using Safari 4.02. Leopard 10.5.7.

What about Java Script Plugins? maybe out of sync? could that be causing the problem? Anyone help me troubleshoot. i know nothing of plugins .. how to remove/ how to troubleshoot this.. auggh.. help help pls... :)

ok.. also, i have a really LARGE amount of email in my yahoomail inbox.. and I mean LARGE.

Does anyone know if there is a correlation between proper handling of email via safari/yahoo/leopard and size of the inbox? I know that "loading" is where my Safari crashes... an usually it's when i've toggled over to a website and then gone back into my yahoomail.. But that's not 100% all the time.. sometimes it just crashes when I am in yahoomail (safari) w/o going to a website...

Back