Leopards - spaces and lack of window focus

cayco

Registered
Hi!

I upgraded to Leopard yesterday and I noticed - let's call it a bug - when I switch to another app (using Command+Arrow or Apple+Tab) the app window (laying in other space) I switch to is not active (does not have focus). I have to click on it to regain focus. This is really annoying because I repeatedly have to move my hand away from keyboard and click on mouse.

Anyone else experience this? Is there any workaround?

cheers

cayco

Hi!

I upgraded to Leopard yesterday and I noticed - let's call it a bug - when I switch to another app (using Command+Arrow or Apple+Tab) the app window (laying in other space) I switch to is not active (does not have focus). I have to click on it to regain focus. This is really annoying because I repeatedly have to move my hand away from keyboard and click on mouse.

I'm experiencing the same problem except it seems to affect only Firefox and Thunderbird - they wont get focused when I switch to them, but Mail and Safari get the focus.

No idea how to deal with this.. :I

I am having a very similar problem too! First off I have a 15" Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 1.5GB RAM - I did a format/clean install of Leopard on Saturday and everything on the install went great. I have not noticed any issues with apps working or anything else except... this annoying issue of the wrong window getting the focus. I have also noticed this where I have an Excel sheet open and then open another spreadsheet and instead of the new one I am opening becoming the main focus window it goes back and shows the first open spreadsheet as the focus and the newly opened one immediately behind it! So I constantly having to click to bring focus to the newest window in many apps. Hopefully this will be a simple bug fix for them to cure in the next update.
Besides this annoyance I have not noticed anything simply not working.

(using Command+Arrow or Apple+Tab) the app window (laying in other space) I switch to is not active (does not have focus). I have to click on it to regain focus. This is really annoying because I repeatedly have to move my hand away from keyboard and click on mouse.
Do you mean Ctrl+Arrow key to switch spaces?

jb.

Tried to install leopard on my Mac mini, when I restarted ,it will show the spinning "clock" for about 5 minutes and then restarted it's self. On and on all afternoon. I held down the C key and was able to bring up Disk Utilities but it failed all testing. Will not eject the disk now.

I'm seeing this same problem (the lack of window focus), most especially with Firefox and Thunderbird; have also seen a hint of it (but not so consistently) with Adium. It doesn't happen when I use ctrl-arrows to go to another screen and then back, but does happen when I use command-tab.

Hard to tell if it's an OS-side bug or a Mozilla bug where the applications aren't handling things in just the right way, I guess.

I don't click to get focus, though, I just use command-` which switches windows and focuses just fine. Whatever happens, must not remove hands from keyboard!

i have a Mini, Leopard & the only problem i'm having is ctrl-tab between apps, and not getting focus on Firefox (latest version).

if i put all apps into the same space, same problem.

turn Spaces off, problem gone. this is a bug in Firefox dealing with Spaces. probably be easy for them to fix.

Try using the shortcut for window switching, that works for me. The shortcut depends on what language version of OS X you're using, in the swedish version it's Command+>.

that works, but you have to remember what you put in what space -- whereas with command-tab you move to the app you want. so it's not a great workaround (for my cruddy short term memory) and does not change that Firefox has a bug in it. but thanks for sharing. i can at least use that.

I should've been more elaborate in my suggestion above... here's what I REALLY meant to write (but was to lazy to execute):

After you Command-tab to Firefox, hit the shortcut for switching to the enxt window and then the shortcut for switching to the back window. That'll give focus to the window that was in fron in Firefox when you got there in the first place. So, two extra keyboard commands, instead of one click. Might be worth it if you're a long way from the mouse...
:)

I am very frustrated with this BUG. Not only does it happen consistently in Firefox but also when I open a new doc in NeoOffice or a new image in Preview, if I have others open, I have to go find it. The new one's not on top. Grrr. :)

When adding a contact in Address Book from Mail that doesn't have clear First and Last Names for Address Book to "figure out", the new contact opens like it did in Tiger but when you start typing (assuming your cursor focus is in the Name field, as it was with Tiger) you find yourself jumping through your contacts because the focus was in the Address Book Spotlight. Then you have to go find your new contact in order to add the names.

I'm glad to find that others are having the same problem and it's not just my MacBook. I re-installed the 10.5.1 update and it didn't fix it.

Hope they fix this one.

Cynthia

I'm glad to find that others are having the same problem and it's not just my MacBook. I re-installed the 10.5.1 update and it didn't fix it.

Hope they fix this one.

Cynthia

Well did you file a feedback form? Just hoping will not let Apple know abut the bug. The more people whole file about one bug the more likely Apple will notice.

I am with Mac OS X 10.5.2.

The issue seems to have been fixed with FireFox 2.0.0.12. :)

The issue is still there with ThunderBird 2.0.0.12 though. :-(

Back