Lets hack Jaguar!

martinatkinson

Registered
OK Guys,

Its time to hack the system...find out where Apple hides all those little goodies, customize to your hearts content...

OK, maybe people know this already, but:

/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX: contains the boot image (Apple) and the missing disk image (Delete Sign) I have posted an image of both.

/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc: contains all the GUI elements such as the windows, buttons, etc

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemIcons.bundle/Contents/Resources: contains all the file and folder icons for the system

These neat little sites tell how to edit, hack, customize and tweak out your system:

http://www.resexcellence.com/ <- Lots of customizations, hints and tricks
http://macosxhints.com/ <- Various hints and tricks
http://homepage.mac.com/ryandesign/jagboot/ <- Customize your boot image

Like I said earlier, I have attached a copy of the boot image and the missing disk image. I was wondering if anybody could point me to the place where Apple hides that large spinning arrows you see at boot and at restart/shutdown

Hope this helps some people...don't forget to backup before you edit!

Albert

Attachments

• bootx.jpg
    bootx.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 253
Does anybody know where the resources for the dock images are? I looked in Dock.app/Contents/Resources (where the previous versions resources were) and there was just middle, left, and right _Original (the previous systems resources)

Where are the new resources?

i changed my boot with no problem the other day, its now me eyes :)

i think it would be kinda cool to have a flat grey theme like the boot screen...

hmmm

Anyone know where the apple image for the login panel is hidden now? I tried replacing the loginpanel.tiff file, as in 10.1, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Hmm, looks like it is in:

System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/loginwindow.tiff

This seems to be just the little icon at the top of the window. I do not know as I have never used the login panel, I have an auto-login.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Albert

Apple didn't leave much out:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj

I didn't try with 10.1 but in 10.2 I noticed how easy it is now to change the trashcan icon. :D

Originally posted by martinatkinson
Hmm, looks like it is in:

System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow/Contents/Resources/loginwindow.tiff

Thanks for the response. However, while the little icon at the top of the window is what I am looking for, that file does not appear to be it. That file is an aqua i, wheras the icon at the top of the login window is an apple. It looked as though it was located in /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgent.app/Contents/Resources/loginpanel.tiff, but as I said replacing this file doesn't seem to change anything, at least on my system. Any other ideas?

Originally posted by macavenger
Thanks for the response. However, while the little icon at the top of the window is what I am looking for, that file does not appear to be it. That file is an aqua i, wheras the icon at the top of the login window is an apple. It looked as though it was located in /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgent.app/Contents/Resources/loginpanel.tiff, but as I said replacing this file doesn't seem to change anything, at least on my system. Any other ideas?

Hmm...the only thing I could suggest is to do a hard reboot. I am thinking that when the system is started, the resources are loaded into the cache or memory so a simple log out would still display the image in the memory. If you reboot then it should reload the image and display the new one.

If you have already rebooted to no avail then you are on your own. ;)

Albert

Originally posted by martinatkinson

If you have already rebooted to no avail then you are on your own. ;)

Albert

Thanks :) I just found it. The problem was that there is a similar set of files in /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ and /System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources/ I had replaced the loginpanel.tiff found in the SecurityAgentPlugins directory, but it was reading the one located in the SecurityAgent.app bundle. Very confusing. I suppose they have two copies there for a reason, but I haven't figured it out. Once I replaced the copy in the SecurityAgent.app bundle, everything worked fine. Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by plastic
I just want my smiley Mac at start up back...

Like Xaqintosh said, check out the link in my first post about custom boot images. You can get your happy mac back or even put that cute little "hello" as your boot image as in the earlier betas of Jaguar! Or, feel free to create your own little happy mac using a new iMac instead. As Fujitsu puts it: "The Possibilities are Infinite"...well...almost :)

Albert

THIS IS THE REASON WHY I WILL FLY AROUND THE GLOBE TO ATTEND MACWORLD!

Thanks guys, for sharing. You are the greatest. Somehow this feels like the good old Mac community I know. :)

There's also a way to bring "Minimize in place" back, but it involves replacing the dock and the dock prefpane with the 6c48 ones.

It was in versiontracker but it was removed almost instantly. Apparently you cannot distribute it because betas where under NDA agreement and giving out the dock is disclosing information or something like that...

Anyway, i was lucky enough to get it before it was removed!! :)

Originally posted by agusgriego
There's also a way to bring "Minimize in place" back, but it involves replacing the dock and the dock prefpane with the 6c48 ones.

It was in versiontracker but it was removed almost instantly. Apparently you cannot distribute it because betas where under NDA agreement and giving out the dock is disclosing information or something like that...

Anyway, i was lucky enough to get it before it was removed!! :)

How about posting it in here?

Question: Does this violate the board rules though? I mean, if the software is obselete or no longer in ccirculation and the poster put it up for downloading to the other users in this forums. Mod? What's your take on this case?

kommakazi, thank for the link. I hope we did not violate anything here and have the mod come after our sweet little McBuns. :D

Back