Library sharing in iTunes 4... OVER THE INTERNET.

Ricky

Registered
Give someone on a Mac with iTunes 4 your IP and tell them to push Apple K and put the IP in.

Instant internet sharing. ::love::

Wow, can't believe Apple is allowing this. You can only stream, of course, but I bet people are going to try to find a way to hack it and allow you to download songs to your Library... :(

anybody want to email me their IP? I am the lone mac addict in my circle, I have no friends to test this with.

I would love to check out streams from other people's Macs, but how would this work through a router. If possible, what info is needed?

It wouldn't surprise me if its via HTTP on that port... when I get itunes 4, I'll see if I can tell what protocal it uses.

out of curiosity kilowatt... what are you using to find this info. I'd be interested to check it out.

EDIT: Just a bit of info,
When you command click on a file there is an option to "copy sharing URL"
Here's the value it copies for one of my songs...

daap://Apollo.local./resolve?database-spec='dmap.persistentid:0xdb49a72c5b01cfbc'&playlist-spec='dmap.persistentid:0x5ad5ecd27a4a04a0'&song-spec='dmap.persistentid:0x8acdd2d673dd3f71'

what am i doing wrong? I cannot share my music on my local network!
the sahred music icon appears fine but when i click on it the loading music bar appears but nothing happens!!!!

Please Help!!!!

Update it's ok if i turn the firewall off

okay, there needs to be a bulletin board or a thread where everyone posts their IP and what kind of music they listen to. =)

6005 songs, mostly jazz, funk, or fusion, but also plenty of rock, classical, hip hop, and various other good musics.

I say that this is a great service that Apple is providing and to hack it and put it the realm of Napster will cause the service to go away and cost Apple money and lawsuits.

Originally posted by kalantna
I say that this is a great service that Apple is providing and to hack it and put it the realm of Napster will cause the service to go away and cost Apple money and lawsuits.

Indeed. There's a warning when music sharing is turned on that it is only for 'personal use', I wouldn't want to piss Apple off and have them remove this feature. Sharing among your friends is fine, but I think coming up with a list of tons of people is a little much.

Originally posted by Gogo
6005 songs, mostly jazz, funk, or fusion, but also plenty of rock, classical, hip hop, and various other good musics.

a fellow 311 fan I see :D

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the omaha sessions and the remixes from?

I must say, the similarities beween our libraries are astonishing.

Back