Library sharing in iTunes 4... OVER THE INTERNET.

crash, I'm not really sure how to get around the internal IP problem, never really dealt with that stuff. Send the author of DNSUpdate an email about it, maybe he can help.

I guess sharing over the internet only works smooth if your connection is fine and you are not on the other side of the planet, because I only experienced an often stopping stream until now...

well, it finally happened, and it didn't take long. Someone has released a program that will download songs off of someone's iTunes share. It turns out iTunes sharing is nothing more than a http server running on a different port. I wonder how long it will take Apple to squash this. It might end up hurting some of their credibility with the record companies if they take too long. I will not mention the name or address of the program here, because of site rules, but I have tried it and it does work.

I have been looking for the program in question and I must say that it is very illusive.

I've been curious on how the daap protocol works and have been trying to figure this out on my own with some packet sniffing and a few google searches. Even with the info that I've found on my own I can't seem to find how it works.

Anybody have any info on the DAAP protocol itself?

with or without this iTunes hacker program.... even if you buy music from the apple music store I heard that it will only play on up to 3 authorized computers with a digital security key making this happen.

So either way, usage and distribution of the music is limited, no matter what you do...

--edited. do not promote the infos to hack itunes. be this a warning to you, and to everyone who urges to do so in this thread. thank you. -gia.

The iTunes music server is basicaly a web server running on a different port. By telneting into localhost on my machine I've been able to download music using HTTP GET. Let's just suffice it to say that this can easily be done without the use of any hack, although you do have to be familiar with the HTTP protocol and method calls

With this program, It would give you the availability of downloading any MP3 or AAC that is in anybody's shared library. If the audio file has no DRM it will play on any machine, not just one of the 3 authorized for listening to DRM managed files.

It would be just like downloading a song from a web server.

EDIT: That was probably a little too much info for discussing on this forum, I just saw that the previous post was edited for content. I've edited quite a bit out. I hope it's safe now... if not, mods do your thing.

I'm also in no way shape or form trying to hack iTunes... I'm just looking for an understanding on how the DAAP protocol works. It could have many other uses.

It would be just like downloading a song from a web server
Not quite, since it will be saved at the rate it is streamed. When downloading regularly the limitation is bandwidh (how hard the server pushes and the client pulls). With iTunes the song gets regularly streamed, so to download a 3 minute song, you get a 3 minute download, regardless of bandwidh. No competition for illegal P2P in speed ...

Instead of googling, try to search some fora, like the MacRumors Forum or iCity. Also there are some Blogs out there which have dissected the protocol.

Originally posted by Cat
Not quite, since it will be saved at the rate it is streamed. When downloading regularly the limitation is bandwidh (how hard the server pushes and the client pulls). With iTunes the song gets regularly streamed, so to download a 3 minute song, you get a 3 minute download, regardless of bandwidh. No competition for illegal P2P in speed ...

Instead of googling, try to search some fora, like the MacRumors Forum or iCity. Also there are some Blogs out there which have dissected the protocol.

incorrect, i have downloaded a 5:30 second song from my roomate in 2 minutes.

That is quite strange IMHO, if I understood the workings of the protocol and the program correctly, then the program cannot simply copy a song but fetches is as if it were streamed. It would be a security leak if I could really access the music library directly, instead of through iTunes. If I understood correctly, the server, iTunes, gets a request to play/stream a certain song, so this could not be copying. However, the actual speed at which it is transferred could be influenced by buffering, though I do not know the details. Intriguing.

Edit: I stand corrected. I apologize: you were right! By just examining the code you don't get anywhere ... The program dl's the songs at about twice the speed it would take to straem them. I still don't understand how this is done exactly ...

Back