Licensing an application on a Mac with no floppy?

Finch

Insert something here...
Well, now that I've resolved my DNS issue I've moved on to the next matter at hand retiring my last NT machine. I picked up a G4 533MHz at a great price and I would like to move my FirstClass mail server from the NT machine to the G4.

Anyone familiar with previous versions of FirstClass knows that the licensing is handled by proprietary floppy disks. The software itself installs via CD so no issue there, just don't know how the license the server if I move it to the Mac?

I thought about an ext. USB floppy but that’s also a no go, as OS X can't recognize the floppy format to read the license file. Anyone know of a workaround that I can use to get the floppy's mounted in OS X to license the server?

Is it a new usb floppy drive? I had an older external floppy drive that OS X would not 'see' the floppies inserted. Once I got a new drive, all is well, even with my older HD floppies and PC formatted floppies.

Do you have access to another machine with a floppy drive to copy and place on a new floppy?
I wonder if that license disk is only good for one time. Have you contacted the makers of FirstClass?

Disk work just fine already tested on my NT machine. Disks themselves can only be read by the licensing program within the FirstClass software. Thus the reason I need to find a way to mount them in OS X.

Have you tried contacting First Class yet? They should be the ones to help with licensing issues (assuming you have a legal copy and a valid license.

I own my software and licences but I no longer have a support contract. They do offer e-licensing I imagine for this very reason, as far as I know its only applicable to v7 and higher...

The fact that your key floppy works in NT is irrelevant. The NT software can't be used on the Mac anyway. (Check the license (which I don't believe an individual 'owns') , see if it allows you to install FirstClass on another OS) Upgrading to version 7 should be your next step, as you will need to do that for better support by OS X. (isn't version 6 the first supported by OS X?)

Back