Lid closed operation

azrad

Not-so-junior Member
i was wondering did the new 15" AlBook be able to run whilst the lid is closed?

i know that the 12" managed to do this...

just wondering...

Why shouldn't it?

You'd need an external monitor, though, as Mac laptops are designed to go to sleep when you close them to prevent the internals from damaging the screen.

yesterday, i want to Apple Retail Store at my place...

i asked them for a demo to run 15" AlBook to run whilst the lid is closed and connect the AlBook to the projector. Alas, they are not be able to do run the AlBook while the lid is closed.

Does this applies only to Monitor only ?

BTW, the 12" PBook is connected to the Projector while the lid is closed.

Yeah, just when an external monitor's connected. You have to restart the computer and, as soon as it chimes, close it.

i never have to do that. just plug in the external monitor, mouse, and kb and power cord. hit a key on the kb and it comes to life.

you have to have the power plugged in for this to work though or it will not come out of sleep.

That's right -- when you close the lid, the computer goes to sleep, and, obviously, the keyboard and trackpad are unavailable to wake the computer.

As heathpitts said, with an external keyboard/mouse, you can just hit a key on it to wake the computer, and the video should show on the external monitor.

And yeah, as far as I know, there is no closed-lid battery-only was to operate the computer. You need external power.

There is a program that keeps the computer running.
But i would not do this... the keyboard is a heat releaser for the powerbooks, and you could fry your screen with the heat

Back