Limiting printer use..

kalantna

Registered
Does anyone know of a program or a way to limit use of a printer to a select group?

I have a lab that has four printers in it and I only want certain machines to be able to print to certain printers.

What OS version are on those computers in the lab and what kind of printers and how are they networked?

The printers aren't networked onto the ethernet, but are USB shared off of separate printers. The whole lab is set up in 4 rows of about 4 to 5 computers a piece. One computer out of each row is acting as a print server to the rest of the row. I would like to be able to limit the computers permitted to print to the ones that are in the same row as the print server.

or

I would like to disable the ability of non admins to change the selected printer.

either one option would be fine.

Kalantna,

I was wondering if you have a server running those computers. Plus, a quick call/visit to an Apple store Genius Bar may answer your question.

No they are independently ran. No server setup. I would call/visit and Apple store, but the nearest one is almost three hours away.

You could delete the printers you don't want used on the machines. That is, in row one, keep the printer you want them to use and delete the others.

OR - set up the rows so that the printer you want the row to use is the only one on that usb share network. That would mean having one printer for each row and each row a separate usb sharing.

Actually, our Apple tech guy showed me a great way to restrict the permissions to the print center so that the printers couldn't be changed and deleted.

Back