line out switching to headphones

Pardus

Lurks: 15,289
OK, I am going crazy trying to figure this one out, must be leopard feature.

On my G5 powermac and tiger, I had external speakers plugged into my line out in the back. worked great. sometimes i needed to rock out and would plug my headphones into the front. both headphones and external speakers worked, all I would do is turn the volume knob on my external speakers off.

Now with my Mac pro and leopard, I have to go into system preferences and switch my sound output back and forth. Am i crazy, is this my new workflow. from one step of turning down my speaker volume to like 6 clicks and system preferences?

please tell me there is an easier way and i am just having a blonde moment?

You can always Applescript it into one click. :) I have done this before with headphones and external speakers. My headphones connect via USB so they don't activate automatically. If this sounds of interest to you, I'll dig around for the script. It can be modified to do what your wanting.

Thanks Scott,

I did find this one at MacOS Hints that works ok, had a couple little glitches but overall is ok for how much i use it.

This is what is "suppose to happen".

well maybe that is supposed to happen in leopard/macpros but on my G5 powermac the front and rear line out worked together at the same time so when i plugged in my headphones, I just turned down my external speakers.

Back