Linksys Wi-fi and PowerBook G4

wchamon

Registered
I just installed a Linksys Router (WRT54G) and a Linksys Cable Modem. My PowerBook works fine when plugged in but does not find a wireless network.

I named my SSID accordingly, it is broadcasting in Mixed mode (G and B) has no security features and it is setup to broadcast the signal...

Any idea?

Thanks,

What model PowerBook do you have? Are you sure that your powerbook's AirPort works? Does it work with other networks? Have you tried manually entering the SSID? Are you sure that you are in ranger? Have you tried shutting down, then starting up again?

It's a G4. My airport works fine everywhere. It was 2 ft from the antena. I've shut it down a dozen times...

If Murphy is correct it will work suddenly and we will never know why!

Wallace

I have the same set up you do...

I recommend connecting your laptop to your linksys router first using an ethernet cable. Then go to the set up page provided in your manual and make sure all security is turned on. Make sure you have mac access (I usually limit mine to my 2 computers to restrict any foreign access).

Once you do that and turn on DHCP (I assume that's how your provider gives you cable access to the internet) you should be able to then disconnect ethernet and set up a Location (apple menu/location) like "home wireless" and use the WEP password you create.

If your firewall and WEP password aren't activated on your router, you're asking for trouble.

Hope this helps.

Believe it or not, I changed de channel from 11 (linksys default) to 6 and it worked fine!! Guesswork!

Wallace

hehe i have the same router.. but my default was on 6 and i changed mine to 11.. lol... Small world.. :p but good routers.. sorta.

The channel 11 is where microwaves and cordless phones usually sit. Just remember that if you have a cordless phone near your wireless setup.

The channel 11 is where microwaves and cordless phones usually sit. Just remember that if you have a cordless phone near your wireless setup.

anyway you can post what channels do what? I didn't know this information.

Back