Linux on Mac

If you put "Linux on Mac?" in your subject line you'd be more likely to attract the attention of someone using Linux.

what features in a linux dist are you looking for.....
if your looking at programming (C, C++, Java, etc) then you can do all of that already yourself.

In addition, please specify what kind of "Mac" you're talking about... a newer Mac? An older, less powerful Mac? A PowerPC-based Mac? An Intel-based Mac?

You're going to have to elaborate greatly if you want help with your query... your question is just about as vague as they get, and, as such, you can only expect equally vague answers in return. If you want a specific answer, please be specific in your query.

With that said, any Linux distro is "good" to run on your Mac, since there is no "bad" distro to run on your Mac -- it's all personal preference. Take your pick from the bajillions of distros available.

Okay, Did'nt really think alot of people will run Linux on their MAC. Well I have a G4 Power PC Mac Mini, Which Im wondering if I should put mac on it. Im going to be useing it for just about everyday applications. Just want to learn something new thats all. Like I have used a Windows PC since I was about 13 years old. So Im just trying out different Operating Systems and just trying to get a feel of what is out there. Hope that will help alittle

While a lot of free software is out for linux, things like Word only work on Mac and Windows. For "everyday" stuff, I'd go OS X. The only reason that you would go linux (in my opinion) is to try something new, develop, or if you just like linux better than OS X.
If you're looking to try out a new OS, go for it. Keep in mind, though, that OS X is probably the best OS in terms of user-friendlyness.

Here's some distros that work on PPC.

I use Fedora Core, which serves me well, but I hear good things about Ubuntu too.

ricanelite said:
Okay, Did'nt really think alot of people will run Linux on their MAC. Well I have a G4 Power PC Mac Mini, Which Im wondering if I should put mac on it. Im going to be useing it for just about everyday applications. Just want to learn something new thats all. Like I have used a Windows PC since I was about 13 years old. So Im just trying out different Operating Systems and just trying to get a feel of what is out there. Hope that will help alittle

I've run Linux on Macs for some time now. I have Debian/ppc running on an old Motorola StarMax 4000 PowerPC Macintosh clone from the mid-90s. I've also installed Ubuntu/ppc but it was a bit too much for that old machine.

Years ago before there was as much support for PPC Macs as there is now, I installed Yellow Dog Linux (about the only working distro available for PowerPC Macs at the time) on an old Power Mac Workgroup Server 8550 and later on a 300 MHz Power Mac G3 Beige. While the installation took some work, they both worked like a charm. Eventually I will be installing Ubuntu on my iMac G5 as a dual-boot with OS X once I've backed up everything. I'm curious to see how well it performs with a 64-bit PowerPC 970. :D

Back