Linux on mac

1) Make sure you are booted in OS X
2) Open Disk Utility (located in the Utilities subfolder of the Applications folder)
3) Drag and drop the ISO files into the lefthand sidebar of the Disk Utility application (the side where your hard drive shows up)
4) Click on the first ISO image and select "Burn..." from the "Images" menu at the top
5) Burn the image
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the second and third ISO images

Are you sure the complete file downloaded? Make sure by either comparing the size of the file you have with the file on the server, or follow the instructions on YellowDog's site about verifying the MD5.

It doesn't matter what the default app is for ISO files. Just follow my instructions. Since you say Internet Explorer is set to be the default application for the files, it sounds like the entire file may not have been downloaded completely.

There was no file size :confused: I think I'm just going to try and download from another mirror site. I can't drag and drop the iso files in Disk Utillity, prob. because of what you said "File might not be completed" but when I woke up in the morning, in the downloads manager it said that all 3 were complete :rolleyes:

Ok, I downloaded the iso files last night from the japan mirror (I think?) Any way I proceded to burn them and right as the 1st one was finishing up the computer (Disk Utillity) said (See Attachment)

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 7
Look at this, why are there two disks on the desktop? the one on the left is the one that I burned, and the one on the right, well I really dont know why there is one on the right. OK, OK. I will reburn.

At what speed?

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 7
Why, why, why! Problem after problem after problem!!!!!

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 12
Ah, well, you know, sometimes I get that same error message -- usually, if the CD mounts fine and seems to have all the data on it, it'll usually work just fine.

Try burning disks 2 and 3 and then try booting from the 1st CD that you burned before. It should work.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa It starts up from the CD, So I'm going to go home and back up my HD and partition my drive. How much room should I leave for linux. I was thinking about 10gbs?

10GB should be fine. If you plan on using Linux regularly, I would suggest 20GB or so, depending on how much you can spare.

Congrats on getting it working -- let us know if you've got any questions about installing or using Linux!

I've pulled out my old (never used) BeOS CD and been thinking about turning my 9600 into a dual boot Mac/BeOS box. There are what appear to be some fairly useful BeOS apps still floating out there.

Anyone have experience and tips on BeOS?

Well before I could read your post I went ahead an repartitioned the drive, and made YDL about 5 1/2 GB. But I still think that will be enough, right?

Oh, rubaiyat. Start a new post on that BeOS CD thing. this post has changed subjects so many times already :D

Thanks for all of your help with this Linux thing. I got 2 new books today (Linux For Dummies and O'Reilly's Linux Pocket Guide) and I will be visiting the Unix and X11 section of this site alot more :eek: :D

OK im wanting to try out linux can you gues recomend a good version of it. Oh and it must be able to be run from a cd if this is possible (like boot from the cd and run linux because i dont want to partion my hd and all that stuff)
So what would you gus recomend?

or would it be better to download x11 and install kde?

Thanks

MacMan: all Linux distributions for the PowerPC processor need to be installed. You can't run Linux from a CD, unless you custom-build it yourself and even then, you'll need a hard drive (or some sort of writeable media) for the swap space and user home directory.

I think there are certain distributions for the Intel/X86 platform that can run under emulation, so you don't need to fully partition and install Linux on a separate partition, but since this is a Macintosh/Apple forum, I leave that to be answered for definite sure elsewhere.

Mandrake and a few others have versions to run off the CD only (no emulation at all), but those are only X86 platform versions. Nothing for PPC.

If you don't want to mess around with partitions at all, you should use VirtualPC to mount Linux.

I use Knoppix Linux through VPC6.1, and am going to use Fedora Core after a little while, if I find I use Knoppix enough.

People who want Linux for anything more than just playing around confuse me, because they're just deviating from Apple's flawless support for their own devices and platform, and the amazingly indepth developer capabilities of OSX.

Although I know RedHat 9 and Solaris 8 both compile far smaller files than OSX does, if that matters to you at all. What works under gpp in one is going to work under gpp in the other...

Back