Linux on mac

Lycander said:
Nope. Yellow Dog is strictly a PPC distro. If you want to run Linux in VPC, pick from any other distro that's x86.

What does that quote mean? I want UNIX, but I don’t know any thing about it :rolleyes: so what I need to do is go to this web site ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/iso and download:

yellowdog-sirius-20031118-install1.iso
yellowdog-sirius-20031118-install2.iso
yellowdog-sirius-20031118-install3.iso

Right?

I'm a Jr. in High School and I want to go to collage and do something with computers (Code) I kind of started to learn C++ but my teacher got sick (Long story). Could you guys help me out?

PS: Should I make this a new post, I'm kind of changing the subject :rolleyes:

bkaron said:
What does that quote mean? I want UNIX, but I don’t know any thing about it
What I'm saying is:
if you don't want to screw around with your MacOS installation and run Linux seperate from that by using Virtual PC, you'll need an x86 (PC) version of Linux. Not to insult your intelligence, but think about it. VPC emulates a PC and PC hardware, therefore you'd need a Linux distro that runs on PC hardware.

bkaron said:
I'm a Jr. in High School and I want to go to collage and do something with computers (Code) I kind of started to learn C++ but my teacher got sick (Long story). Could you guys help me out?

PS: Should I make this a new post, I'm kind of changing the subject :rolleyes:
You can learn C/C++ on MacOSX, the dev tools and tutorials/documentation are provided with your system on a seperate CD.

Yellow Dog is nice for servers and large institutions with basic requirements like internet, email and office, if you know how to compile almost every program you're going to use. Mac OS X is unix as well, and has a much larger user base and library of ported software. You won't find any app you can run on ydl that you can't run on Mac OS X.

If I download yellowdog will it replace my OS, will it partition my dirive, what will happen?

ksv said:
Yellow Dog is nice for servers and large institutions with basic requirements like internet, email and office, if you know how to compile almost every program you're going to use.
Not sure what you mean by that... YDL has a decent RPM repository for most of the software that will satisfy, as you've said, basic requirements.

bkaron said:
If I download yellowdog will it replace my OS, will it partition my dirive, what will happen?
If you just download it? Nothing will happen. It's an ISO file, it'll just sit there until you do something with it. You need to burn each ISO image onto a CD. If you download an x86 Linux distro you can mount it in VPC and install it that way without ruining your OSX setup. Booting from the Yellow Dog CD and running the install can wipe your OSX install only IF you tell it to.

Lycander said:
Not sure what you mean by that... YDL has a decent RPM repository for most of the software that will satisfy, as you've said, basic requirements.

Okay, what I meant is that ydl has a quite limited rpm repository compared to other (x86) distros, and that you'll have to compile programs yourself if you're looking to run the latest versions.

bkaron said:

To install ydl, you need to have free, unpartitioned space on your drive. In other words, you have to format and repartition your drive and set a few gigabytes aside for ydl.
But if you just want to see what ydl looks like, try booting from the first ydl cd. You'll be presented with a very nice, graphic installer. Just don't proceed beyond the step that erases your hard drive ;)

What if I don't wipe the HD. Will it show up as another bootable disk? I want it, but I don’t want to lose my info. Sorry about my, well stupidity when it comes to UNIX :(

Not much is different between Linux and UNIX. Linux is based on UNIX, but is slightly different.

You're going to need a blank partition, at LEAST 4GB in size, or another hard drive to install Linux. You cannot install Linux on the same partition as Mac OS X (or any other OS for that matter).

Download the ISO files, then use Disk Utility (in Mac OS X) to burn the images to CDs. You can't just drag and drop the ISOs onto a blank CD-R -- you need to use Disk Utility to do it. Drag and drop the ISO images to the left-hand sidebar of Disk Utility, then use the "Burn..." command from the "Images" menu to burn the ISO to a blank CD-R.

Once you have reformatted your drive with a blank partition or used another blank hard drive, simply boot from the 1st YellowDog CD by restarting with the CD in the drive and holding 'c' until the CD boots and follow the instructions.

Fair warning, though, Linux is not for the novice user, and it's really easy to select the wrong partition or hard drive to install on (they're not referred to by "Macintosh HD" or names or anything like that -- they're referred to as devices, like /dev/dev06 and their size).

Good luck.

Maybe a trip to Barnes & Noble would be a good idea for you, Brandon. Pickup a book on Linux and one on Unix, then read through them real quick in the cafe there (you won't have to buy them then <G>).

In order to install you'll either 1.) have to wipe your HD out, then repartition and format or 2.) format the HD (and most likely repartition anyways)

You go with option one if you want a dual-boot system. Say you have a 40gb drive. You would partition it into a few separate drives for the different OSs. Say 30gb for OS X and 10gb for Linux. (You might wind up having multiple partitions for linux, but they would add up to 10gb.)

You would go with option two if you wanted to completely forget about OS X and run Linux only. Chances are you are going to have to repartition the drive with a proper filesystem type. This would hold true for any partitions running Linux.

---

Now, I would strongly suggest you DO NOT do any of that. Based on what you've posted so far, you'd wind up becoming really lost. Play around in the terminal under OS X for a while and get used to a *nix type system first. Maybe grab a few books and read up on them.

OS X is more than capable for doing C/C++ programming on. If that's your only reason for wanting Linux/Unix environment, then don't bother with the others. You already have Unix as it is, just you have a much nicer GUI/interface on top of it that others do. You could always run KDE under X11 if you really felt nostalgic, but it's nothing special.

What is this all about?

- I don't know if this has anything to to with it but, I was in root and me being the genius that I am, draged the finder.app to the desktop. So since I couldn't see the .app an the desktop I decided to take my frends finder and it worked. but insted of putting mine back I just kept his. And yes, he had the same os (10.3) So...

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 13
I think you should give this linux project up. Even though you'll manage to install it, you will have to erase your hard drive.
Mac OS X is a much friendlier developer environment and is actually more of a unix variant than ydl. Install the Developer Tools (free download if you sign up at http://connect.apple.com/ ), and you'll have all you need to do programming, also in the bsd unix subsystem :)

First off, make sure you don't mount the ISO images under Mac OS X. That tends to corrupt them.

The other thing you might want to do is try downloading from another mirror. Yellow Dog's site should have links to various mirrors out there. If they have it, you might want to try and use BitTorrent to download the images.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Download the ISO files, then use Disk Utility (in Mac OS X) to burn the images to CDs. You can't just drag and drop the ISOs onto a blank CD-R -- you need to use Disk Utility to do it. Drag and drop the ISO images to the left-hand sidebar of Disk Utility, then use the "Burn..." command from the "Images" menu to burn the ISO to a blank CD-R.

I can't do it!? I cant drag and drop, so I thought there might me another way so I went to the restore tap ant tried to re store the CD with the ISO image. I then clicked on image (to select the iso) and a pull down menu came down and showed the 3 files in grey. Why, I left my computer on all night in order to download them. I used the 1st UK mirror site.

What app. should be the defalt app. for the iso files, because I used my old computer to download the files and the OS was 9.0. When I do a get info on the iso files, the defalt app is Internet Explorer, and there are no others to open it with (that are in the list) I have a ton of apps. Just give me a hint ;)

Back